OS Catalina and CAC

Reaction score
I updated to the new OS Catalina and ever since then I am no longer able to access any CAC websites. I have parallels and not even with that am i able to access them. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Not knowing what CAC is, you may want to check the security settings in System Preferences > Security. You may have to allow it.

OP
E
Reaction score
Not knowing what CAC is, you may want to check the security settings in System Preferences > Security. You may have to allow it.

Military ID- we have to use this ID With a CAC Card Reader to access certain websites. I was able to access them before the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You will have to check with your base or unit admin to see if there is an update to support Catalina. As I recall, the update for Mojave was a couple of months showing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Are you using any other software for use with the reader? I did a little searching and the website for PKard says they won’t be supporting Catalina. They say Catalina has native support for CAC readers. So offhand, you should be working. If you have something like PKard installed, you may need to uninstall it.

PKard for Mac and macOS Catalina | Thursby Software

OP
E
Reaction score
Are you using any other software for use with the reader? I did a little searching and the website for PKard says they won’t be supporting Catalina. They say Catalina has native support for CAC readers. So offhand, you should be working. If you have something like PKard installed, you may need to uninstall it.

PKard for Mac and macOS Catalina | Thursby Software

I have uninstalled everything. The only thing in there now are the certificates. I don't have any type of software for cac card readers installed. I try to log in with windows 10 using the parallels and it reads it then is says that i need to connect a smart card. This is one of the errors that it gives me:

Error is: Could not communicate with security server (invalid HTTP status code 0, probably access denied because of cross domain scripting), dbsign code: 305

which i have no idea what it means.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here’s a discussion on Apple’s site about CAC readers. It’s about an upgrade to El Capitan, but relevant here:
accessing military websites on mac, using… - Apple Community

The second comment goes into great detail as to what you need to do. You may not need the middleware now on Catalina according to my last post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have uninstalled everything. The only thing in there now are the certificates. I don't have any type of software for cac card readers installed. I try to log in with windows 10 using the parallels and it reads it then is says that i need to connect a smart card. This is one of the errors that it gives me:

Error is: Could not communicate with security server (invalid HTTP status code 0, probably access denied because of cross domain scripting), dbsign code: 305

which i have no idea what it means.
Does Win 10 see the card reader? If you’re in Parallels, and it is setup properly, then the issue, may be with Parallels or how it is setup?

OP
E
Reaction score
win 10

Does Win 10 see the card reader? If you’re in Parallels, and it is setup properly, then the issue, may be with Parallels or how it is setup?

Yes it does read it. When i choose the certificate it disconnects and it stops reading the card. it says to connect a smart card.

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Has this question been resolved regarding MAC OS Catalina and CAC abilities? I have the same issue I just upgraded to Catalina 10.15.1. My CAC reader no longer works. Also, please, for the love of God, stop referencing "All" the steps in the military CAC Website. I use a military CAC as well. However, the website (CAC Card Support for military CAC Card) is out of date. It has not been updated since 2018. As such, the graphics/displays on the screen do not necessarily exist within Catalina 10.15.1. Therefore, it is entirely possible to be sure that all the drivers/software are removed and subsequently reinstalled? If anyone has a fix for this issue, please advise. Thank you.

Reaction score
CAC reader with MacOS Catalina?

Has anyone figured out how to make this work yet? I've used my Mac with a Thursby CAC reader for years with no issues; the same reader also works on my iPad and iPhone. It does still work for those 2, but ever since the Catalina update, it will not read my CAC. The computer knows the reader is there, but it refuses to read the certificates. Yes, I have tried everything recommended at MilitaryCAC.com several times, and I have also reached out to the manufacturer for help, which they cannot provide. I have way too much military work to accomplish for my CAC reader not to work. I cannot access many sites and some classes. I also cannot digitally sign anything because the computer and CAC reader simply will not play nicely together and read the card.

Oh, I had mentioned that the reader does still work on my iPad and iPhone, but unfortunately, neither of those is powerful enough to reach some sites it seems. One class that I can actually get to has a pop-up (that is allowed) that just doesn't go anywhere.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide! If I were not unemployed at the moment, I would consider buying a very small PC for just Army stuff, but right now, the money just isn't there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, the solution it would seem is to revert back to Mojave. It's very likely that the kext which drives the CAC reader is not compatible with Catalina. Probably because it may have 32 bit strings or the entire driver is 32 bit. In which case it will never work unless it's rewritten to 64 bit.

And, welcome to our forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a potential solution posted on Apple's forums:
macOS Catalina disabled CAC reader capabi… - Apple Community

I did see that post by militarycac.com but I never installed any CAC software before the update so I skipped to this command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard DisabledTokens -array && sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.smartcard EnabledTokens -array com.apple.CryptoTokenKit.pivtoken

Reaction score
Cac Card Issue

I updated to the new OS Catalina and ever since then I am no longer able to access any CAC websites. I have parallels and not even with that am i able to access them. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet? I'm having the same issue with mine ever since I've updated my mac to Catalina 10.15.4. I tried everything that Military Cac referenced, Uninstalled PKard, Deleted Certificates and updated them, made sure my cac card reader is reading on my mac and cleared out government website inside my keychain. I feel like I've done everything and I still can't use my cac card. Without my cac card reader I'm drowning in work because we're teleworking right now. Any help with be awesome!! Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet? I'm having the same issue with mine ever since I've updated my mac to Catalina 10.15.4.

I'm well out of my league and I had to Google to see what a CAC Card Reader actually was:

Regardless of that, have you checked out what needs to be done according to this:

CAC ON YOUR Mac INSTALL CHECKLIST PAGE

NOTE:

Between mid October 2019 and mid February 2020 everyone in the Army was migrated to use their PIV Authentication certificate for Email access. You no longer use the Email certificate for Enterprise Email.

New imageMac users who choose to upgrade (or already have upgraded) to Mac OS Catalina (10.15.x) will need to uninstall all 3rd Party CAC enablers per MilitaryCAC's help uninstalling CAC enabling programs page AND reenable the built in smart card ability (very bottom of macuninstall link above)

If you purchased your Mac with OS Catalina (10.15.x) already installed, you can skip the uninstall part above and follow the instructions below.New image

MilitaryCAC's Mac OS OS Installation Steps Page

PS: Did you happen to make a clone BACKUP as the Apple OS installer first suggests you do??

If so you could Boot from it and carry on could you not???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
No, I did not back up first. My CAC reader has always worked before, and I had no idea that Catalina would be any different until after I updated. Everything was working great until I needed my CAC for some military files and website access. The CAC reader still works fine on my iPad and iPhone, but they are not powerful enough to manage some of the websites like training sites. I tried everything from MilitaryCAC.com and from Thursby's website, but nothing has worked. I guess I will just try buying a new CAC reader, different brand, and hope that it is truly "plug and play."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried everything from MilitaryCAC.com and from Thursby's website, but nothing has worked. I guess I will just try buying a new CAC reader, different brand, and hope that it is truly "plug and play."

Did you read their web[age and notes???:
MilitaryCAC's Apple / OS X 10.15 (Catalina) Resource page

APPLE MACINTOSH COMPUTER SUPPORT PAGE for CATALINA (currently 10.15.4)

NOTICE

New logoDO NOT UPDATE to 10.15.4 IF your CAC is working on 10.15.3. For the majority of the people I have heard from who updated NO LONGER are able to use their CAC on their Mac. I [and a couple of other people] are working with Apple directly to find a fix. I know this comes at a very bad time for you, as you are probably relying on it more than ever.
The below are items that have worked for others. The idea is to try one. If it doesn't work, try the next. Your outcome will vary, and may not work. ... ... ...

But I guess that doesn't help your situation very much.

Have you contacted them for any other suggestions they may have???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Thanks, but mine has not worked since I updated to 15.anything. And yes, I have been through all of the steps multiple times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I did not back up first. My CAC reader has always worked before, and I had no idea that Catalina would be any different until after I updated. Everything was working great until I needed my CAC for some military files and website access. The CAC reader still works fine on my iPad and iPhone, but they are not powerful enough to manage some of the websites like training sites. I tried everything from MilitaryCAC.com and from Thursby's website, but nothing has worked. I guess I will just try buying a new CAC reader, different brand, and hope that it is truly "plug and play."

Did you try what I suggested on 04/18?

There have been a lot of issues with Catalina, the worst being with upgrade installs leading to legacy problems. I wound up starting from scratch myself because I had so many issues early on. If you didn't try what I dug up on 04/18, I would suggest doing that. If you did or do and it doesn't work, I wouldn't count on a new reader helping you, but who knows, it may be worth a shot. It's very likely you will have no choice but to reinstall Catalina from scratch though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CAC reader still works fine on my iPad and iPhone, but they are not powerful enough to manage some of the websites like training sites.

I thought they were only needed to provider Identification and Security, not a lot of horsepower needed there, and as it works on your other devices, I would say that Catalina is now the screwup, and i would doubt that a new card reader is going to help matters bunch.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.