OS 8.1.2 (issues?)

Reaction score
For a few days now, my phone and iPad have been telling me of this update. Has anyone had or know of any issues? Is it ok to update my 4s? Not much room left...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other than posting this in the wrong forum (I moved it for you).... There have been no problems with the latest iOS (8.1.2) as far as I'm aware. I'm running the latest on my iPhone. However, since you have a 4S it may be advisable if you have not already updated to iOS 8 to stick with iOS 7. If you're already at iOS 8, then go ahead and update to 8.1.2.

C

chas_m

If you "don't have much room left," expect crappy performance regardless of what OS version you have. Like OS X, iOS needs "room to work," and I'd suggest about 10 percent or so of the capacity be left open.

You can do the update after you clear some space by connecting the unit (with a USB power cord) to your Mac or PC through iTunes. Don't do an over-the-air update unless you have LOTS of free space and LOTS of time.

Reaction score
I'm actually really irritated with it all now. I installed ios8 on my iPad mini, which slowed it down drastically and now I've installed 8.1.2 which has somehow made it worse. There's a lag with every app I open and it's taking twice as long to render web pages, with Safari and Chrome. Switching between apps is painful too. I now consider my iPad essentially bricked, and I'm not sure if there's any way to downgrade to ios7 now that signing has stopped.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Backup your iPad Mini, and reset it from iTunes. That might help to speed things up for you. And there is no way to go back. Apple has quit signing iOS 7 and that means it will not install without a jailbreak.

Reaction score
Cheers chscag, I'll give that a go today! I'm considering jailbreaking to run ios7 again on my iPad, though I'm very glad I didn't update my iPhone as I think my head would explode with frustration. I don't use my iPad anywhere near as much as my iPhone, and my 5S runs ios7 like a dream, like my iPad used to! Very very annoying all in all.

C

chas_m

You don't mention what iPad you have, but I ran iOS 8 on my third-gen iPad without issue, and of course its running beautifully on my new iPad Air. I also have it on my iPhone 5s, and it works great (though I did have to turn off some things like background app refresh that got turned on in the initial iOS 8 install, and which really drained my battery until I figured out what was going on).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, iPod
Slow

just upgraded on my iPhone and iPad and they are running a bit slower than before. Other than that...no complaints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
APOLOGIES to anyone who may have read the first version of this question - I was thinking of an Italian site I use, hence using that language: anyway, the problem with my iPad Mini iOS 8.1.3: this device receive emails at home (in Italy), but even on otherwise reliable websites in Spain, Switzerland and Germany (probably in other foreign countries) it receives some mail, but not a lot, whereas the beloved iPhone 4 with 7.1.2 does a proper job. Passwords for the various emails have been checked and double-checked. Indeed, yahoo communications arrive. The worst is iCloud (a me.com address) which often does not come through at all. Is there some incompatibility associated with iOS 8?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
Postscript: with iOS 8.2, things have improved. Mail comes into the iPad Mini as never before, and my subscribed-to Corriere della Sera no longer crashes in the midst of my reading. Performance seems acceptable. Still, I prefer my iPhone 4 and am thankful that it was not eligible for the iOS update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.