Original AirPort and Linksys WRT54G

Reaction score
Okay,
I just purchased an used iBook g3 with an original Airport card. Everything is grand with my iBook except one thing, my Airport card will not connect to my router.

I have been researching all over for solutions and some people say that linksys is not even mac compatible where as others say that this is the best router.

The router works fine for both my familys Dell's but not for my iBook g3 or my friends MacBook Pro. There is a password on the network and I am positive I am correctly typing it it but it says that it cannot connect to the network?

Is all of this work pointless or is there anyway I can get this to work?

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Did you install the firmware revision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
What kind of encryption are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Firstly let me assure you that the Linsys router you have works just fine wih Mac's I have two iMacs. One wireless the other via cable and two PC's wireless using the same router.all using Wepa encryption

Does the mac find the network name ?

Is the SSID broadcast tuned off ?

What about MAC filtering are you using that ?

Make sure you type your password correctly it's easy to confuse some letters "l" small L large "I" that sort of thing can cause no end of trouble

Ps. I have no knowledge of the G3 so I can't help you with that

Good luck

Reaction score
I'll bet the problem is that the router is using WEP. Theoretically, WEP requires a 13 character password. Many PC utilities will allow you to get away with other passwords, but the Mac is going to require 13. Change the password and while you are at it, dump WEP and go to WPA!

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Firstly let me assure you that the Linsys router you have works just fine wih Mac's I have two iMacs. One wireless the other via cable and two PC's wireless using the same router.all using Wepa encryption

NO they do NOT all have no problems with macs. I have one and the firmware had issues it took a firmware update to work properly. Before I did that putting a mac on the network caused ip conflicts.

I posted about this before but nobody cared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
NO they do NOT all have no problems with macs. I have one and the firmware had issues it took a firmware update to work properly. Before I did that putting a mac on the network caused ip conflicts.

I posted about this before but nobody cared.

Sorry if I was misleading . I have just the 2 iMacs(Intel) and they perform well on my network via the Linksys router and have done so from day 1.

Sorry you have had problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive
I'm having the same problem. I have a linksys wireless router with a powerbook g4 running panther and it won't connect while I have wireless security enabled with WPA. I know I am typing the correct password but it consistantly says that there is an error connecting to the network. When I disable WPA it connects perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.