Orbi wireless slowdown after iMac sleep mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
Trying to figure out why wireless speed drops while logged off the computer overnight (or any time it goes to sleep). I get a consistent 200+ MBPS through the wireless connection...however, logging back on after sleep mode, speed is ~45 MBPS. Toggling the wireless connection at the computer off very briefly, then back on, speed returns to 200+. This is 100% repeatable.

Computer is a 2017 iMac, running OS Catalina, all software up to date. Orbi is on current v2.3.5.30 firmware. Cable internet service, rated at 200 MBPS. AFAIK, the wireless remains connected after logoff, or else it reconnects in some odd post-sleep mode.

Didn't notice this until we recently switched to cable internet service and started doing random speed tests to confirm service integrity. Our previous ADSL service sucked (a miserable ~7 MBPS at best) so did not really have a reason to be testing speed until now. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you able to test this using your ethernet connection from your iMac to the router? If the same thing happens while using an ethernet connection, then the problem may be with your wireless connection. Let us know and we can suggest some things to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Curious, I have Orbi, Base and two satellites, and I don't see any degradation. I'm with chscag, let's try the ethernet to see if it goes away and then we can troubleshoot some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tested here, did not duplicate your issue.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ethernet connection works fine.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tom, can you expand on that a bit? Are you saying that there is no speed degradation on Ethernet, but it's still happening on WiFi? And the same quick reset fixes it on Ethernet?

The next step is to do some analysis of your network environment. There is a tool called WiFi Explorer at the Mac App Store that will quickly scan all the WiFi stations it can see for signal strength. When I run it, I see my network on both 2.4 and 5 gHz frequencies and the channel to which I am attached. Another option is to hold down the Option key and click on the fan icon on the top bar of the screen (the WiFi icon) and then select Create Diagnostic Report and let it run. The resulting diagnostic will show the networks that can be seen and what you are attached to. One of the many reports will tell you if you are currently set to a congested channel, that is, one that is being shared with a lot of other routers/devices. If you are on a congested channel, that can slow down throughput, particularly if you are newly connecting, as that gets lower priority than existing "customers" already on the router.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are no malfunctions on Ethernet. WiFi awakes from sleep mode with degraded speed, toggling wireless on/off restores the speed. 100% repeatable.

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can suggest is to enter your router's firmware menu and check to see if all the settings are correct. Also, you might want to shift to using another WiFi channel or even shift the frequency you're on. Here at home I get the same speeds on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels. In other words, do some experimenting and let us know.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also checked functionality with my MacBook. It does not exhibit the malfunction, which to me suggests one of two things: (1) the router may not be the problem; or (2) the laptop does not malfunction because it actually cuts the wireless connection to conserve power when in sleep mode, thus the router could be the problem.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tom, if you think about it, the laptop that cuts the connection reconnects when it wakes up and establishes a new connection. That is the exactly the same as your manual process on the iMac when you disconnect and reconnect. So something in the router or the link to it, is getting impacted to be slow on a wake up, but speeds up with a new connection. That should not happen.

You might want to go to the router setup and change the designated channel the router is using. You can use a product like WiFI Explorer (In the Mac App Strore) to look for a channel that may be less congested than whatever is in use now. You can also look to shift to the 5gHz band instead of the 2.4gHz to get away from congestion and get to higher speeds as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you think about it, the laptop that cuts the connection reconnects when it wakes up and establishes a new connection. That is the exactly the same as your manual process on the iMac when you disconnect and reconnect. So something in the router or the link to it, is getting impacted to be slow on a wake up, but speeds up with a new connection. That should not happen.

Exactly. Already on the 5GHz band...will toy with channel selection when I have some time.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.