Optical drive seems dead???

Reaction score

Hi
Not too sure what's happened but my MacBook(standard late 2010 MB) won't accept cds/dvds. They can be inserted fine but the machine doesn't "grab" them anymore. Obviously I haven't pushed it all the way in as I've no idea if I can get it out again, but they've been within a mm of all the way in. I've tried putting it in and putting it to sleep and then hoping it'll accept it to get the motor going but to no avail. I'm stuck!
Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you can get the cd/dvd in there there is a sure fire way to get them out if they become stuck and that is to restart your Mac and as you do hold down the mouse button/trackpad and that is the way to get stuck media out of the drive.
And yes sorry to say it looks like the the drive is on the way out. Which in turn is bad new considering the age of the Machine. Is it still in the 12mth warranty ?? If so take it to the Geniuses get them to analyse what the problem is with it and get them to fix it.
If its not and only just out of warranty i would still take it to the geniuses and being all nice and lovey dovey to them see what they can do for you. It could be a known fault.
There are numerous stories here in the forum where people being nice knowing there machine is out of warranty took it to Apple and because of their excellent customer service have exchanged machines for new or have fixed the problem for them free of charge.
It never hurts to ask and if you don't you don't know what you could be missing out on.
Worth a try.

HTH somewhat :)

Cheers

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi TMac
Thanks for your thorough and quick help, I'll get a disc in and do the restart and i'll book an appointment at the apple store. I got it 25th October 2010 so I'll be extra nice in the apple shop and keep my fingers crossed!!
Appreciate it, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi TMac
Thanks for your thorough and quick help, I'll get a disc in and do the restart and i'll book an appointment at the apple store. I got it 25th October 2010 so I'll be extra nice in the apple shop and keep my fingers crossed!!
Appreciate it, thanks

Your welcome. Being just over 2 weeks out of warranty you have a very good chance with them fixing it or dropping a new machine in your lap and if its a new machine, you will have done wonders. :)

Cheers

Reaction score
I had this problem with my 2007 aluminum iMac.
When I finally got the stuck disk out I never used the drive again until I upgraded to snow leopard.
I forgot the drive hadnt been working until I put the disc in. Anyway it worked fine for some reason.

I now have this problem on my MB Pro (2011) . But that's because i dropped it when importing a cd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.