Opinions on Seagate's 4TB FireCuda Gaming Dock with empty NVMe slot

Reaction score
Firecuda Gaming Dock: External Drive and Thunderbolt 3 Dock | Seagate US

B&H has this on sale today only for $299 (Everyone else is $349 or more). It's Thunderbolt 3 with a mechanical hard drive. What appeals to me is I have my semi-retired Win10 rig that has an Intel 2TB NVMe SSD. I can move data off that to other drives, reformat it to something Mac friendly and pop into this Seagate. So I'd get Thunderbolt3, some port connections, 4TB mech drive, and my old 2TB NVMe all for $299. Seems combo of TB3 and SSD would be very fast, maybe even faster than my Fusion Drive. I would probably use the SSD for games and any other large apps. Movies & TV shows and backup files would go on the 4TB drive.

I've only owned my new iMac for a few days, currently I have a large Seagate USB external drive connected via USB 3. I have to use Paragon's NTFS for Mac to write to it since it's still NTFS. I bought the higher end iMac, the $2299 one with 3.7ghz and 2TB Fusion drive.

Being a new Mac owner I don't want to spend $300 without checking this out with experienced users.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It doesn't say it is compatible with Mac.,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, you want to make sure that gaming Dock will work with your current setup. Also, I strongly suggest your read thru the B&H return policy before purchasing from them. I bought many items from B&H over the years and have never had to return anything, but you do need to know about returns to them.

OP
A
Reaction score
Still researching but so far I don't see anything about being Mac compatible, but doesn't being Thunderbolt3 only imply that it is? Do Windows computers have TB3? I thought that was a Mac thing only.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just got off chat with B&H support, they say it is Mac compatible but I'll probably have to format the 4TB to something Mac compatible. I emailed myself a copy of the chat just in case.

B&H has a 30 day return with some exceptions, none of which would apply to this device.

Edit: Went ahead a ordered it from B&H, $50 off was too good to pass up. For $300 I get a TB3 dock with 4TB, TB3 pass thru port, Display Port 1.4, 5 USB 3.1 ports, RJ45 port plus mic and headset ports. The fact that I have a NVMe 2TB stick is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.