Opening old Mac images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Good evening. Have a number of images from a previous Mac (or several previous Macs). At the top of each of these images there is a note that the image is locked. Looking at get info for these images shows they are not locked. I'm then given the option to make a duplicate image and work with the duplicate. Which works, but this is an agonizingly slow process when there are lots of images.

I'm also a bit troubled/confused by the "locked" "not locked" signals I'm getting.

Currently happily using a late 2014 Mini with OS version 10.12.6.

Would appreciate suggestions.

As always, thank you.

bmahin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would bet that the images were created under a different account at some point in the past and are now "read only" to you. That's why you have to make a copy. You didn't say what type images they are, but you can do a Cmd-click (right click) on one, then Get Info and at the bottom are the permissions. Click on the lock icon, enter an admin password, then change the permissions for you to be read and write.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I agree with @MacInWin (Jake). You can also change permissions with the folder(s) and select the "Do this with all enclosed items" option.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Thanks to both of you. I forgot to add in my original message that the images are classified as read & write.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.