opening apps from locked screen..

Reaction score
hi.. how do I open apps from the locked screen on iPhone (iPhone 12, 16.3.1)

right now I can open the camera from the locked screen, this came like this by default.. how do I enable this for other apps?

I don't get this.. there should be a list or something of apps you want to access from the locked screen.. this seems overly complicated..

"To use the Structured Live Activities, you first have to enter Focus Mode.." Focus mode?
(is it "Live Activities" or "Structured Live Activities"?)

on the other page, "favorites tab", should I know what this is? oh brother..

"focus mode"? 🤨

I don't get the instructions on either of these two pages.. it really seems overly complicated...

I would appreciate some help/suggestions.. thank you..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
See if this Apple Support Documents gives you the information you're looking for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The only two things I think you can access from the lock screen are the camera and flashlight. If the app you want has a widget, you may be able to add the widget to the lock screen. Two widgets are allowed. Tapping the widget opens the app. If you use face ID, your face will unlock the screen to open the app. If you don't have or use face ID, you will have to unlock the phone before the widget can open the app. Only the camera and flashlight work without unlocking.

OP
K
Reaction score
oh man.. I thought you could open like six.. I wanted WhatsApp, Maps, Kindle, and a browser..

ok..thank you....

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
On my lock screen I have two "at a glance" widgets; Weather and Batteries. This means I can see what's happening with Melbourne's fickle weather and how my watch and MacBook batteries are.

With Face ID and "Raise to Wake" enabled one flick of my finger then takes me to my home screen where I can open any app, it's only one action so why would I want to open any of those from the lock screen? That would be a serious security risk.

Having said that, perhaps you are talking about the "Summary" view.
You can have a scheduled view of Notifications from lots of apps, like WhatsApp. A long press on those will expand the message, a second press will unlock the phone and take you to the app.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.