Opening an old zipped back up file

Reaction score
I have a zipped file of a drive back up from an old G5.

It was packed using Stuffit (I think). I can't get my 2013 Mac Pro to open it.

Does anyone know how I might be able to access audio files I know are trapped in the zipped file?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me cradom.

When it tries to open it the Mac uses 'Archive Utility'. It usually works for ten to fifteen minutes then admits defeat.

The back up contains everything that was on the G5 drive at the time including the old OSX plus all sorts of software that is not present on my current Mac.

As I said, it's only the audio (wavs) I want to access, not the software.

Those two apps you have added links for, I'm guessing they are different to Archive Expander?

Thanks,

Paul

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could also give Zipeg a try.
It will allow you to view the contents of an archive and retrieve only what you want without unarchiving the entire thing.

Reaction score
Check the stuffit archive by right clicking and selecting get info then once the next window appears select sharing and permissions at the bottom of the window and make sure you you tell it your account name read and write and everyone read and write once finished try extracting it again you might have to click the lock in the lower right corner of the window to unlock the option

C

chas_m

This isn't rocket science. If the original was created by Stuffit, use the free Stuffit Expander to unstuff it.

Reaction score
Also make sure you have enough drive space to expand it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

It worked!

'The Unarchiver' managed to expand it.

UNFORTUNATELY, it has created another problem which I'm guessing you won't be able to solve. Here goes anyway.

The reason I wanted to access the data on the backed up drive file was because it contained a lot of music that I created using Apple's Logic 7 (I'm a music producer).

Logic 7 cannot be opened on an Intel machine (my current one).

I cannot find the audio that I created using Logic 7 in any of the files that have been expanded (Logic 7 is greyed out).

I am guessing it will only be accessible if Logic 7 can be opened. Does that sound right?

I've been through all the files Applications, Library Logic folders etc. etc. and can't find any of the audio I created using Logic 7. I know it is there because I cloned the drive when I bought a new machine knowing I would need it some day.

The only possible solution I see is expanding the zipped back file up on a G5 machine, firing up Logic 7 and then hopefully, access the audio created in it.

Unless of course, any of you know of an easier way?

Thanks,

Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't think I've ever used Logic but what I found through a Google search suggests that once a song is created the user can choose where to save the project folder. Is it possible that you placed the songs in a folder that was never part of that archive.

I also checked to see whether the current version of Logic could read files from older versions. This page suggests that it does so I don't think not having the older version installed is an issue unless the songs were accidentally stored somewhere within the program.

Last edited:
Reaction score
logic usually saves in documents which would be located under users your name then documents if its there i have no idea where that old though of a version would save to try a google search the files are there somewhere.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello Slydude,

Your response has reminded me of what possibly happened - unfortunately.

I had two drives on that original G5 (ten years ago now I think). One drive was a system drive, OSX, music software etc. the other for all the audio recorded and edited in Logic.

I made a back up of the system drive which is the drive that the uninstaller expanded. This is where it becomes hazy. I think I saved the second audio drive onto an external drive (a Zip drive I think).

I have a horrible feeling that drive failed as well. But there's no way I can retrieve anything from that.

So thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to respond to my requests. At least I unzipped that file with your help.

If anyone knows of anybody who wants a G5 with no hard drives but with an unzipped system drive (thanks again) plus an M-Audio 1010 Digital Audio Interface I'm looking to sell one. Basically it's a recording studio in a box.

Thanks,

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.