Open Office developer cannot be identified

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
I have been using the Apache Open Office for some time for basic wordprocessing.

But downloading an update this morning it won't install or open because 'macOS (Catalina) cannot verify that this app is free from malware.'

Is there a solution to this ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Go to Sys Prefs->Security & Privacy and on the General tab toward the bottom you'll see a new section showing with a "Open Anyway" button that is giving you the ability to override Gatekeeper. This means the installer/app will launch and if it is indeed bad or filled with malware, you were warned and chose to ignore it. :)

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Thanks Ashwyn I have done that now. I've done a screenshot of the install dialogue box out of interest. Hope is comes out here....

Screenshot 2020-04-07 13.33.22

When I paste into an email the picture shows but strange not here !

I can't believe such widespread and recommended s/w is not recognised.

(Incidentally, while I as at Security and Privacy I noticed that FileVault was turned off so I turned it on. Its encrypting as I write; 2 hours its saying !)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The screenshot didn't show up, but if the installation is proceeding, then you're all set.

I think it is a GOOD thing to force app developers to properly register themselves so that users can have confidence in their apps and know they aren't getting hacked. While the iOS environment is easier to control with the App store the only official way of getting apps, the Mac is a lot harder, but I've generally stayed away from apps that aren't from known developers. If you can't take the trivial step of registering as a developer, I'm not trusting my machine to your app.

FileVault is usually overkill for personal machines, and be VERY VERY VERY and remember the passwords associated with it. If you forget it, there is NO way of turning it off and you will lose all of your data. Though, you've already turned it on, I'd recommend turning it back off.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Ashwy. I've informed 'sourceforge' (the source of the update) that Apache Open Office wouldn't work; lets see how they explain it. But understand the issue of registation.

And taken your advice and just turned off the filevault. Am assuming decryption is now happening as I write. Only needed my local p/w.

Incidentally my time machine was telling me that the backup disc (Glyph 1TB) was taking encrypted data and backing up as unencrypted. That'll reverse no doubt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Go to Sys Prefs->Security & Privacy and on the General tab toward the bottom you'll see a new section showing with a "Open Anyway" button that is giving you the ability to override Gatekeeper. This means the installer/app will launch and if it is indeed bad or filled with malware, you were warned and chose to ignore it. :)

Hi Ashwin - I'm on Catalina and in the General tab of Security & Privacy, the 'Anywhere' option is no longer available (see pic from my MBAir below) - now Apple states HERE that if the app in question is right-clicked in the Applications folder, then choosing 'Open' will work, which I've done before. Now a more permanent solution described in this Macworld article is to use terminal and enter the command shown in the second pic below - I've not done this step because I rarely need 'un-approved' apps; also, the article goes through all of the options to 'open' these type of apps. Dave

ADDENDUM: well, just to give the terminal command a try, I now have the 'Anywhere' option back on my MBAir!
Security1.png
Security2.png

krs

Reaction score
I think it is a GOOD thing to force app developers to properly register themselves so that users can have confidence in their apps and know they aren't getting hacked.

Does anyone know what is actually involved for a developer to register?
I was under the impression there is a fee involved and that's why many developers don't register.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, I don't have it set to allow apps from anywhere, it's just the first two options. However, when I try to load an "unrecognized" app, the option to Open Anyway will dynamically show up and when you click on Open Anyway, it will disappear until the next time.

That way, I get the protection all the time until I want to make an explicit exception.

KRS, it costs $99 per year to register as a developer and be able to release apps in the App Store or outside it with a proper certificate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Does anyone know what is actually involved for a developer to register?
I was under the impression there is a fee involved and that's why many developers don't register.

Looks like the registration amounts shouldn't break the bank... assuming that's all there is...

The Apple Developer Program annual fee is 99 USD and the Apple Developer Enterprise Program annual fee is 299 USD, in local currency where available. Prices may vary by region and are listed in local currency during the enrollment process.
Purchase and Activation - Support - Apple Developer

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave, I don't have it set to allow apps from anywhere, it's just the first two options. However, when I try to load an "unrecognized" app, the option to Open Anyway will dynamically show up and when you click on Open Anyway, it will disappear until the next time.

That way, I get the protection all the time until I want to make an explicit exception..................

+1 Ashwin - thanks for the further explanation. Dave :)

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In answer to Razor at 03.55pm (and thanks y'all for your posts...)

Although I have by-passed the Catalina Sys Pref (which does offer the option on my machine) and d/l from the Apache site, I still get the same message - it doesn't like it. So Apache aren't paying their $99 then ? Should somebody tell them ?

“OpenOffice” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

And what the heck's the point of 'sourceforge' for G's sake ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
So Apache aren't paying their $99 then ? Should somebody tell them ?

“OpenOffice” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

I'm sure that the OpenOffice folks know all about it. There is a lot more to it than just paying $99.

In order for a developer to get a "certificate" for their app (that is, have it registered so that it doesn't trip the Mac OS's Gatekeeper app, blocking it from being installed), a developer has to follow a number of rules laid down by Apple. Some of those rules are a bit draconian. I haven't seen a list of those rules, but apparently they preclude developers from creating apps that compete with Apple apps in certain ways, and they preclude developers from creating certain types of apps, for instance certain types of utilities or apps that require deep access to the Mac OS. (Note that, for instance, low level hard drive utilities that work with Catalina and beyond have entirely disappeared.)

As you can imagine, some developers haven't just rolled over and said "okay, no problem, we'll just go out of business." Instead they still offer their software, without a certificate from Apple. That doesn't mean that their software is bad, or dangerous, but it does mean that users have to be savvy enough to know that this is a long-time developer who can be trusted, and they have to know that they can still install the developer's app despite Gatekeeper's warning simply by right-clicking or Control-clicking on the Installer.

How to open a Mac app from an unidentified developer - Macworld UK

Now, with regard to Apache's OpenOffice, this product is one of three products for the Macintosh that are based on the exact same open-source OpenOffice codebase. See:

Macintosh Word Processors
Macintosh Word Processors
scroll down to:
"Let’s start with a program that is more or less a clone of Microsoft Office"

Apache's OpenOffice is the least advanced of the three. If you really like Apache OpenOffice, I recommend that you consider using LibreOffice instead. It is the same program, only a good deal further developed and better supported. (It's supported by a consortium of big companies who put a lot of money into its development.)

Or, even better, try this program, which is still free, but better yet:

FreeOffice (free)
https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Privileged for such great attention to my issue from such pre-eminent chaps as yous - muchas gracias y'all.

Looking at freeoffice right now. (would I delete open office from finder to lose it ?)

(And PS Why can't I post my screenshots here ?)

Reaction score
Privileged for such great attention to my issue from such pre-eminent chaps as yous - muchas gracias y'all.

Looking at freeoffice right now. (would I delete open office from finder to lose it ?)

OpenOffice and FreeOffice have nothing to do with each other. They can both co-exist nicely on your computer. At some point, if FreeOffice becomes your favorite of the two, you may want to click on a typical document and do a Get Info to set FreeOffice as your default so when you double-click on such a document it opens in FreeOffice.

If you decide that you want to delete Apache OpenOffice...it's not as easy as dragging it's icon to the Trash. Here are instructions:

How Can I Uninstall Apache OpenOffice from My Mac

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once again thanks Randy; I've just skimmed through the link you sent and can't imagine anyone, even the experienced, not wanting to save time by using this uninstaller.

So a couple of questions;

1. Is OSX Uninstaller = Pro Mac uninstaller and can the link therein be used to get it ?
2. Mention of a free version; I'm presuming this is just for shop window and requires a purchase ?
3. How much is it ? (Sorry I haven't clicked that link yet - I suppose that would answer that one.}

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
FreeOffice is free. I've had it on my computer for several months and have not noticed any features suddenly becoming locked or otherwise not working. There is a pay p[topm called SoftMaker Office but FreeOffice will do just about everything most folks need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

And it seems like he also burns the light of the wee small morning hours to reply to your questions: :Smirk:

Today, 02:55 AM #17
Randy B. Singer

And I'm pretty sure that is still California time. Much too late for this old retired pensioner!!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.