Open at Login now required password

Reaction score
I connect my MacBook Air with my iMac by way of the "open at login" setting on my iMac. When I start both computers, this setting worked previously all automatically. Now my iMac suddenly brings up a window that says I'm trying to connect and then requires my entering the MacBook Air's password.

The only thing I can think of that caused this change is a setting change in the recent OS update. I don't remember how I set this up initially.

I'm not sure if this is a MacBook Air setting problem or an iMac setting problem, or both. So what setting(s) changed and how do I get the MacBook Air to open again completely automatically at the iMac's login?

iMac: Ventura 13.6.5
MacBook Air: Monterey 12.7.4

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Okay: I need a touch more clarification, if you please.

I think this is what you mean, but I could be way off!

On your iMac > Settings > General > Login Items. Is this where you included the MacBook under "Open at Login"?

It should be, and should work, IF the MacBook is "connected" by some means with the iMac such that the iMac recognises the MacBook.

And on your MacBook what are the settings there, using the same sequence as above?

Or do you do this another way?

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
On your iMac > Settings > General > Login Items. Is this where you included the MacBook under "Open at Login"?
Yes.
And on your MacBook what are the settings there, using the same sequence as above?
No. I'm connecting the MacBook Air to the iMac.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When I've connected to other Macs or network drives, I've always had to enter my password. Not sure if you can save the username/password in Keychain and have that be automatically applied when you do the connection on login.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Glad a shot in the dark worked for you. 😃

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.