Onyx VS Main Menu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I thought this may be helpful, as I cant seem to find a detailed one, and we'll get a survey of what everyone is using & thinks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i use onyx, mainly because it's the one i found first.

from what i hear it's got more little config options, but can also be more dangerous for inexperienced tinkerers.

Reaction score
i use onyx, mainly because it's the one i found first.

from what i hear it's got more little config options, but can also be more dangerous for inexperienced tinkerers.
Per-xactly! I'm an OnyX guy for the same reason as Eric.

M

MacHeadCase

I started off by using OnyX, then I heard about MainMenu and found it more handy as it resides in the menubar. There are a few things OnyX has that MainMenu doesn't (Unix scripting) but I never use them anyway. So for me it's MainMenu although I have both on my hard drive.

Reaction score
I started off by using OnyX, then I heard about MainMenu and found it more handy as it resides in the menubar. There are a few things OnyX has that MainMenu doesn't (Unix scripting) but I never use them anyway. So for me it's MainMenu although I have both on my hard drive.
You traitor MHC. You got me using OnyX and now you've defected.
spanky.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I use mainmenu, but only because that's the 1st I tried and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
From a quick look at the MainMenu web site, it looks like OnyX does much, much more. MainMenu appears to be focused on the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts. OnyX does this plus TONS of more stuff. That is why I have stuck with OnyX (...and it seems to work for me quite nicely).

MHC, am I missing functionality that MainMenu has?

M

MacHeadCase

I'll see how much attachments I can fit in one post...

The first screen grab is MainMenu's interface. At the top you can see that it can do batch tasks. Second item in that same screengrab is the maintenance tasks we all know and love...

Second screengrab is the disk utility scripts...

Third is the rebuilding scripts...

Fourth screengrab is the various cleaning scripts...

Fifth screengrab is actions for the Finder...

Sixth is the rest of the tasks.

Hope this answers your questions and helps. Like I said, OnyX has more stuff like Unix scripts that I don't use anyway.

MainMenu1.jpg

MainMenu2.jpg

MainMenu3.jpg

MainMenu4.jpg

MainMenu6.jpg

Attachments

• MainMenu5.jpg
    MainMenu5.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great stuff MHC, thanks! Now I see why you are such a fan. Their web site doesn't do their product justice. I will have to try this myself.

It was no doubt a lot of work to take all those screen shots and attach to a post. You are a real gem MHC. Thanks so much. I would give you more rep, but as seems to be happening way too often these days, it won't let me - says I have to spread more around. Sigh...

Meantime, thanks again!

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks mac57! *Blush*

See where you launch the app? It sits in the menubar! I love the convenience! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and thanks AGAIN! No, I hadn't noticed that it sits in the Menu bar. That *is* excellent, and so convenient. Obvious of course, with a name like MainMenu! Dohhh.... I must have taken TWO stupid pills this morning instead of my usual one!! :dive:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.