Onyx Cleaner ???

Reaction score
Hi

Recently installed Onyx to clean and maintain a Macbook Pro, however when opening the app I'm unsure what tasks to perform as there are many options.. Could anyone recommend?

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi again and thank you for your post.

I think I replied to you on another thread, but I could be wrong and there is no harm in repeating myself:

Run the "Maintenance" Tab and use the defaults. Leave everything else alone.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi again and thank you for your post.

I think I replied to you on another thread, but I could be wrong and there is no harm in repeating myself:

Run the "Maintenance" Tab and use the defaults. Leave everything else alone.

Ian

When you say defaults, i take it your referring to all options that already have a tick box next to them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
When you say defaults, i take it your referring to all options that already have a tick box next to them?

Yes - below is Onyx opened on my MBPro on Catalina - choose 'Maintenance' and the 'Default Tasks' are checked (I've made no changes) - simply click the 'Run Tasks' button and let the app do its job. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 11.22.45 AM.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes - below is Onyx opened on my MBPro on Catalina - choose 'Maintenance' and the 'Default Tasks' are checked (I've made no changes) - simply click the 'Run Tasks' button and let the app do its job. Dave :)
View attachment 32778

Thanks for your support dave,

Just to clarify, the intention for using OnyX is to uninstall apps and all left over debris files from the directory. would OnyX then be the correct tool to use to suffice for a complete utility clean up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your support dave,

Just to clarify, the intention for using OnyX is to uninstall apps and all left over debris files from the directory. would OnyX then be the correct tool to use to suffice for a complete utility clean up?

Hi again - OnyX is a much more diverse maintenance app than just for 'uninstalling apps'; in fact, although 'Cleaning Applications' is one of its defaults, I'm not sure how well the 'left behind files' are handled/removed - over the years I've exchanged a number of emails (and made several donations) w/ the developer, Joël Barrière - his contact info is available on the Titanium website, if you're interested in pursuing the matter or likely one or more of our members may respond.

BUT for me regarding 'uninstalling apps', I will first look for an Uninstaller made specifically for the app and usually found in one of the menu options or in the app's package contents; if not present, then I prefer to use a free utility called AppCleaner which removes the app's main file but also all of the associated files (many pre-selected but not always) - below is an example; on the left, AppCleaner has just been opened; on the right, I dropped the app icon for DaisyDisk - note that the app and its associated files are all selected and can be removed. Check the link, if interested. Dave
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 1.36.56 PM.png

OP
P
Reaction score
I would attempt to uninstall apps manually from inside the system directory, but feel that is something that requires a more tech savvy advanced approach, cleary I'm not there yet. However as your using it yourself would you recommend (AppCleaner) for Mac as an alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would attempt to uninstall apps manually from inside the system directory, but feel that is something that requires a more tech savvy advanced approach, cleary I'm not there yet. However as your using it yourself would you recommend (AppCleaner) for Mac as an alternative?

Well, I just recommended AppCleaner to you, and have used the app for over 4-5 years, so obviously the choice for me in uninstalling apps as explained in my previous post - my first choice would be an 'Uninstaller' that is specific for the app in question - my last choice would be to drag the app icon to the trash and then try to search for all of the 'left over' files; plus, I do not feel the need to become more 'tech savvy' to achieve that goal - just pick a good app that does the job for you w/ little intervention - my 2 cents. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I basically agree with Dave except that the drag to the trash is not really the final choice for me. And when I use that process, I generally don't go looking for the debris left behind. The files most apps use outside the app itself are generally very small and not, IMHO, worth the effort to find. I use AppCleaner and it does a pretty good job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have never liked using simple drag to Trash for what is left behind. Option 1 is the uninstall option if that comes with the app, and 2 is AppCleaner. A new version, 3.5.1, was released a couple of weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, but dragging the pieces left behind to the Trash is the only 100% guaranteed method of getting rid of absolutely everything. Some people's OCD demands nothing less, even though those pieces are tiny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AppCleaner thoroughly removes those distributed files period!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

If and when one enables the options to do so.

The app also has tools to help make sure that you delete everything associated with an unwanted app.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If and when one enables the options to do so.

- Patrick
=======
All apps require knowing what it does and how to get it to do what we want.

Also, I can't trust anything that comes from MacPaw, the makers of Clean My Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well I'm glad you're so sure about it. I've read many a post that says it left things behind. It might not happen with every use, but it has happened to others.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, I can't trust anything that comes from MacPaw, the makers of Clean My Mac.

Since AppCleaner is a manual removal of an unwanted app, not something that automatically scans your drive and then "cleans", I believe it's safe to use. Clean My Mac is different and much more aggressive in its removal of apps and other bits and pieces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well I'm glad you're so sure about it. I've read many a post that says it left things behind. It might not happen with every use, but it has happened to others.
This happens ONLY when the user fails to check to make sure all the found files and folders are going to be deleted*. Sometimes this is what appears:

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 2.33.55 PM.png

Sometimes AppCleaner does not select ALL options available. But the user SHOULD. Unless they are reinstalling the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Unlike you, Bob, I have used AppCleaner and found it less than perfect. Yes, it does get most of the stuff, but even with every block checked, it fails to find some bits and pieces sometime. Nothing to really worry about, but the OCD among us won't be happy...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.