OnyX and security

Reaction score
OnyX for Yosemite carries a warning from Firefox that the developer isn't recognized. I've used earlier versions for my Mac. Should I allow this one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes you can allow it. You are getting this message due to the security settings on your computer. This is assuming that you downloaded Onyx from a trusted website.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Nick & Other Onyx Users - I've recently upgraded both of my Macs to Yosemite and forgot about Onyx (Mavericks version on both) - of course, I need the Yosemite version - so visited the Titanium website and in the FAQ section, the statement is made to just open the 'Help' section of the Onyx menu bar, and an 'Uninstall' selection should be there.

Well, as seen in the screen capture below, the Help option sub-menu does not seem to include an 'Uninstall' choice - so what to do? Looked at Onyx in Applications and opened the 'Package Contents' and no uninstall icon is seen; SO, shall I send the app to the trash and not worry about files located in unknown places? Just don't want to DL the newest version if the 'leftover' files from Mavericks may be an issue? Thanks all - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 9.30.04 AM.png

M

MacInWin

I just downloaded and installed. It overwrote the old one (after asking if that's ok), and it runs just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just downloaded and installed. It overwrote the old one (after asking if that's ok), and it runs just fine.

Thanks Jake - I sent an email to their website a few days ago - no response @ the moment - but will simply go w/ your recommendation. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave. Are you just trying to uninstall the older version of Onyx? If so…I think that all you have to do is drag the old Onyx app to the trash…and empty it.

If you look a the "package contents"…and then do a "Get Info" on each of the items in the package contents…you'll see that the "path" or location of each item is the exact same place as where the Onyx app is located.

So I'm thinking the Onyx app is just like a single item that needs to be trashed to uninstall it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave. Are you just trying to uninstall the older version of Onyx? If so…I think that all you have to do is drag the old Onyx app to the trash…and empty it.

If you look a the "package contents"…and then do a "Get Info" on each of the items in the package contents…you'll see that the "path" or location of each item is the exact same place as where the Onyx app is located.

So I'm thinking the Onyx app is just like a single item that needs to be trashed to uninstall it.:

Hi Nick - thanks for the further advice; I agree that either doing what Jake suggested or just trashing the app icon would be fine; just was concerned that there was suppose to be an 'Uninstall' option - I'll do what you two suggest and if the developer emails me, then I'll post back here. Thanks again to both of you - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good one Charlie!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Good one Charlie!:)

Well Guys, I already went to the FAQ on the Titanium website and looked @ the suggestion, there was no 'Uninstall' option, hence my question.

Harry & Nick already suggested to simply move the app to the trash or install over the older version, so I was fine w/ that solution.

BUT, just received an email from the developer of the app quoted below - he basically said the same, i.e. move to trash and then install the newer version. Just did that on my MBPro and will do the same on my iMac (when my wife leaves! ;)) - Dave
Hello - first thanks for your excellent utility. *Second, I have upgraded my two Macs from Mavericks to Yosemite - Onyx for Mavericks remains on both machines - of course, the app does not open on Yosemite but the Help menu appears, however, there is no ‘Uninstall’ option - what is the best way to remove this older version before DL Onyx for Yosemite - thanks. *Dave

Hello,

First, thanks a lot! Second, You can just drag and drop the old application in the trash and empty it. ;-)

Joël Barrière

P.S. gave a donation of 20 Euros to his website - think he & his team deserve the support!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. gave a donation of 20 Euros to his website - think he & his team deserve the support!

Pretty awesome Dave! Onyx is definitely a great app!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty awesome Dave! Onyx is definitely a great app!:)

Guys - just another follow-up about Titanium Software - after my donation mentioned previously, I received a personal email of thanks from Joël Barrière (attached below) w/i a few days - just reinforces my respect for this developer and his company. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 12.38.16 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- just reinforces my respect for this developer and his company. Dave :)

Awesome that the developer took the time to send a thank you message!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 10.10, Mac Mini 10.6.8, MacBookPro 10.6.8, iPad 2
I've used Onyx on the recommendation of a developer for years. It works fine on all the versions I've had on my Macs. I also use TechTool Pro, as each app has a few different tricks that help me clean house. I used Onyx as well once when I couldn't get rid of MacKeeper. It was hanging out in the background and an Onyx cleanup sent it packing.

OP
D
Reaction score
OnyX for Yosemite carries a warning from Firefox that the developer isn't recognized. I've used earlier versions for my Mac. Should I allow this one?

:DThanks for the info. I've now got the right version of OnyX. Then I downloaded Maintenance from Titanium (for Yosemite) and put that in applications, but I can't get the Mac to allow me to open it. Any thoughts?

M

MacInWin

You don't need both. Maintenance is a bare-bones version of Onyx. To open it, right click, Open, then after reading the warning, the the OK or Open button (I forget exactly what it says).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2015 model/iMac 2014 - iMAC Sierra 10.12.5
Now, I need a little help on this. Got the Onyx download from the Titanium site for Yosemite OS X 10.10.1. But, when I try to launch it, the message says Safari downloaded this, and it came from neither then App Store nor a recognized developer. So, as precisely as one can think of telling me, what do I need to do to get the Onyx for Yosemite to open and do its cleanup work? Thanks much for all advice.
Herman

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, when I try to launch it, the message says Safari downloaded this, and it came from neither then App Store nor a recognized developer.

This is simply a security setting on your computer. Just allow the opening of Onyx.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What you are seeing is Gatekeeper. a built in security application. One gets this whenever something is downloaded from anywhere except Apple or the App Store. Right click and hit open.

You can change this by going into System Preferences > Security & Privacy and change the settings to Anywhere if you feel comfortable, or simply follow the right click option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.