Online video streaming issues on Mac OsX 10.9.5

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I use a macbook air OsX 10.9.5. I connect to a comcast wifi at home, but of late I am not able to stream videos on any of my browsers. This happens only at home and there has been no changes to my security settings of any sort. I also have an iPad and iPhone which connect and stream without any issues. I updated my software, reinstalled all my browsers, and the wireless drive, updated my flash player.. but the problem still persists. Can anyone suggest a solution for this?

Thanks a bunch guys!

C

chas_m

Start by testing a known embedded HTML5 video. That should tell us something.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,
Yes, I tried mediaboom.com to see if HTML5 streams and it worked perfectly, although took almost 10 minutes for the page to load. What I did not mention earlier was that even though I am able to browse on my mac, websites (esp Facebook) takes a lot of time to load. If I restart or reconnect to wifi, the speed picks up momentarily but goes back to being very slow.. speed tests show anything btw 0.5 to 40mbps.. this is pretty much the scenario even early in the morning when I am the only one using the wifi. My roomie has a windows OS and he has no issues with the comcast wifi.

Reaction score
In your original post you refer to a wireless drive. Can you explain that in greater detail so that we know what you are talking about?

C

chas_m

Your roomie is running a torrent server, methinks.

But in case I'm wrong, can you take your computer somewhere with free WiFi and let us know how well it works there?

OP
B
Reaction score
@ ron4mac: I meant that I reinstalled my wireless driver by going to system preferences>>Network>>wifi. I removed it and recreated the wifi.. I am not sure if I am explaining myself well here!

@ chas_m: I have been using my macbook everywhere.. starbucks, office, barnes and nobles.. It works perfectly well everywhere else.. I checked out chrome, firefox and safari.. all seem well..

I had some friends over today and unfortunately none had a mac to check if this is issue is reproducible.. but all of them were able to connect to my home wifi on non-mac devices..

Reaction score
You can try turning IPv6 off. Enter the following in the terminal and press enter:

networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi

... you may have to authenticate with an admin password.

[edit]
One other possibility to check is that you are indeed connecting to your wifi there at home and not some neighboring wifi (with a poor connection). Check that the expected network name is checked in the menubar wifi drop down. (I'm quite sure that you've probably already covered that but thought I should make sure)

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Clearly we have eliminated your wireless network as a problem (your iPhone and iPad work on it just fine). We've also eliminated your Mac as the issue (it works perfectly when you're not at home). I'd say you have to move. :)

No, I think this pretty much narrows the problem down to an IP conflict. Or, as ron4mac suggested, your machine is actually connecting to a nearby open network as its preference. Give your router a unique name so that you avoid any possibility of this happening.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I tried typing that in the terminal.. Got the following error message:
Wi-Fi is not a recognised network service.
Error: the parameters were not valid

I could not even open up the mac-forums website last two days.. It just keeps loading!
Really A
Really appreciate all the help guys..

OP
B
Reaction score
I have a unique name for my wifi router, so I guess this could be an IP conflict only. Any ways to ascertain this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.