One website always times out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I have a strange and nagging issue where on my 2013 iMac 3,5 GHz i7, 24 GB RAM, 3T Fusion Drive running Firefox (now 33.1.1) pages on the Weather Underground website never load and always time out. (Weather Underground National Map) The site does not time out using Safari or Chrome on the iMac and it never times out on my 2012 MBP using the exact same version of Firefox with the exact same extensions. I have tried starting FF in safe mode and the page still will not load so I don't think it is an extension issue.

Could Yosemite or Mavericks be the issue? Could there be some unique hardware item/configuration in the iMac which could cause this problem? Both computers are currently running Yosemite 10.10.1 but this is/was also an issue with Mavericks 10.9.5 on the iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like some kind of issue with Firefox and that website on your iMac. It can't be related to the version of OS X since it's doing it both in Mavericks and Yosemite. Have you got anything else loading with Firefox besides extensions? I no longer use Firefox or I would try accessing that site with my iMac (same as yours). It works fine here using Safari.

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
Can it be Firefox?

Yes, I agree that looking at Firefox as the source of the issue is primary. But I am running the exact same Firefox with the exact same extensions on the MBP and the pages load. One the iMac, no other website fails to load or times out. On of the first things I did was run Firefox in Safe Mode (all extensions off) and the pages won't load. Again, they do load on my MBP with Firefox. I also trashed Firefox and my whole pref folder and started over and the pages do not load. Is there something else I can try with Firefox? I had suspected that there was a hardware issue on the iMac but I had it in for warranty repair recently and everything tested fine. And the pages wouldn’t load on just that machine with either Yosemite or Mavericks. This is such a strange situation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What did Apple repair on your iMac? I don't see this being a hardware problem but who knows, I've run into some strange things over the years.

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a dumb thing

What did Apple repair on your iMac? I don't see this being a hardware problem but who knows, I've run into some strange things over the years.
I was moving the table that the 1 month old iMac was on when it's power cord caught on a door knob and it tumbled to the floor. There was extensive damage to the case and the screen, both needing to be replaced. Nothing inside was broken and they ran an extensive battery of tests to make sure. This Weather Underground issue precedes that repair though.

BTW: I bought a c-clamp and the computer is clamped to the table now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.