One or the other please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Each time I download something in iTunes, it is downloaded simultaneously to the Mac, the iPad and the iPod Touch. However, if I need to copy something from the Mac to one of the other devices and therefore have no choice but to risk synchronising, everything I bought and downloaded to all three devices gets re-copied from the Mac to the other device, despite the fact that it has already been downloaded to all three.

Do we allow simultaneous downloads (wasteful on a limited and slow Broadband) or use the synchronisation?

For some reason, Apple do not seem to flag items downloaded to all three as being on all three, so they get copied over again. Then I have to go through the movies and music videos and delete the duplicates.

Thus what should have been an improvement turns out to be just a nuisance - in two different ways. Maybe it is better to turn off the multi-download and just go back to regular synchronisation?

Anyone else get this? :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried again.

I downloaded a couple of films from iTunes to the Mac. These were not auto-downloaded to the iOS devices, fortunately. So then I used Sync (Wireless) to copy them to the iPod Touch. About six music videos copied over as well, despite those having already downloaded to both machines in the past. This left duplicates which I had to clear manually. I hope I have deleted the copy that was downloaded rather than the one that was synced, in the hope that they do not have to be synced again - although of course the two copies should be identical.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.