On my iMac OS X 10.10.1

Reaction score
Have just updated to Yosemite 10.10.1 Now can not open any OfficeMac Excel files. "The file name contains invalid characters e.g. <>\"/. It is trying to open .doc files in xls! Have uninstalled and reinstalled OfficeMc problem not solved.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Gotta have more info. Such as…what version of Office are you running?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your problem is not with Mac Office 2011, what you described is file corruption. For which reinstalling Office is not going to solve. You may have gotten a bad or partially bad install of Yosemite. Did you do a clean install or did you update from a previous version of OS X?

OP
R
Reaction score
I updated Yosemite from 10.10. Have just updated Office - automatic updates didn't automatic! Problem unsolved. Excel started to go through all my files .txt .docx .pdf .rtf etc saying "...file format not valid." It sometimes says HTML Input errors and list 4 files. Should I try uninstalling Yosemite and re upgrade?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something's whacky. Try downloading the Yosemite combo update and install it. Let's see if that clears up the corruption. But before downloading the Yosemite combo update:

Boot to Recovery... press command plus r when you hear the chime. From the Recovery partition, select Utilities, Disk Utility, and verify the hard drive. Let's make sure the drive is OK first.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Under Disk Utility app I see First Aid; Erase; Partition; RAID; Restore, but am not clear what to select under Restore. I don;'t want to do the wrong thing!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From Disk Utility, press the First Aid tab. Then verify your hard drive. Let us know the results.

OP
R
Reaction score
Initially an empty box. Clicking Verify Permissions - gave rows and rows of 'Permissions differ on... Group differs on... For just one example: ... drwxr-xr-x should be dr-xr-xr-x or Group should be 80 - group is 0

Clicking Verify Disk seemed to give the same info.

Disk Repair permissions didn't seem to show anything different. Complicated business - I have no expertise !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.