Oldest upgradeable Mac Mini

Reaction score
So i saw a Mac Mini in a second hand Computer store for £120/$181, it was an older design and taller with the DVD drive slot so i guess could've been from 2010 at the latest.

I didn't buy it but it got me thinking.

The new Mac Mini can't be upgraded ( so far as i have been able to discover)
But previous Mac Minis could have newer/bigger memory, HDDs or SSDs added.

But what's the oldest model of Mac Mini where this could feasibly be done, for a positive (ie useable/practical) result?

Or are there particular models that I should be looking out for or avoiding?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
You probably don't want the original version which was a PowerPC unit but as long as your expectations are modest, all of the Intel machines are going to adequately power a web browser and office software. Get a 2009 or later unit so that you can upgrade to Yosemite though.

OP
N
Reaction score
You probably don't want the original version which was a PowerPC unit but as long as your expectations are modest, all of the Intel machines are going to adequately power a web browser and office software. Get a 2009 or later unit so that you can upgrade to Yosemite though.

Thanks for the quick response though I suspect it was one of the powerPC units for that price...

It's all about knowing the specific model numbers/iteration I suppose. Ifxit seems to have all manner of compartible mac mini parts helpfully divided into models so that should be an easy place to find kit if I do pursue this hobby!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But what's the oldest model of Mac Mini where this could feasibly be done, for a positive (ie useable/practical) result?

Are you sure this is the question you want to ask? Maybe what you want to ask is…"What's the newest upgradeable Mac-Mini?"

The oldest upgradeable Mac-Mini would be a PowerPC based Mini from 2005.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Are you sure this is the question you want to ask? Maybe what you want to ask is…"What's the newest upgradeable Mac-Mini?"

The oldest upgradeable Mac-Mini would be a PowerPC based Mini from 2005.

- Nick

Yes Nick you could be right there!

I'm really just after the cheapest/best Mac I can find for the least money, and i wondered if I could stretch out the expense by upgrading a part at a time and end up with a better machine... for less expense.

If the 2014 Mac Mini were upgradeable then I would certainly go for that. But from everything I've read it seems designed specifically to prevent any user enhancement and that's the best way to go then I'll end up with the £399 model that is somewhat frowned upon by veteran Mac reviewers as being cruelly underpowered.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Two questions:

1. Do you need an internal optical drive?
2. What do you want to be able to upgrade? In Mac-Mini's (as with almost all Mac computers except Mac Pro's)…pretty much the only parts that are upgradeable is the hard drive/storage & ram.

An example of a pretty good Mac-Mini. Here's one from the UK Apple Store (refurbished) for £339.00. It does not have a built-in optical drive…the ram is upgradeable (which is great)…and technically the hard drive is not upgradeable (but it is possible for a enterprising person).:)

Refurbished Mac mini 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (UK)

Here's the HD removal procedure if you're interested:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/11716

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.