Older iBook Identification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Ok, a friend IMed me to tell me that "holy sh*t, I'm on a mac." He had traded his older stereo for it and knows very little of it's stats. Here's what he can tell:

Blue on Top (iBook SE is my impression??)
128 MB Ram
10 GB Hard Drive
1 USB
1 Firewire
OS 9.1
Guessing 14" but not sure (he said either 12" or 14", which doesn't help)
Wireless

I looked at the stats on Apple-History.com and they seem close to the iBook SE but they don't match exactly (my friend's is better).

Can anyone tell me what my friend has, as well as how much Ram it can take? He wants to upgrade to OS X, and will up the Ram for that. Can it handle it, and what version would be best? Also, in OS 9, where can my friend go to see the equivalent to "system profiler?" Thanks! He's never used a mac before, and I've never used OS 9 before, so I can't be of much help to him.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It appears that he may have an iBook SE (FireWire).

CPU: PowerPC 750cx
CPU Speed: 366/466 MHz
FPU: integrated
Bus Speed: 66 MHz
Data Path: 64 bit
ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM
RAM Type: PC66 SO-DIMM
Minimum RAM Speed: 66 MHz
Onboard RAM: 64 MB
RAM Slots: 1
Maximum RAM: 320 MB - May be able to get more
Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction
Level 2 Cache: 256 kB on-chip, 1:1
Screen: 12.1" active matrix
Video Card: ATI Rage Mobility (2x AGP)
VRAM: 8 MB
Maximum Resolution: 24 bit 800x600
Optical Drive: 24x CD-ROM
Hard Disk: 10 GB
ATA Bus: ATA-66
Ethernet: 10/100Base-T
USB: 1
FireWire: 1
Video Out: Composite A/V
Audio Out: stereo 16 bit mini
Speaker(s): mono
Modem: 56 kbps
AirPort: optional
Gestalt ID: 406
Power: 45 Watts
Weight: 6.6 lbs.
Dimensions: 11.6" H x 13.5" W x 1.8" D
Minimum OS: 9.0.4
Maximum OS: 10.3.7

Introduced: September 2000

Terminated: May 2001
iBook/iBook SE (FireWire)

Notes: The 466 Mhz model included a 6x DVD-ROM drive, and weighed 6.8 Lbs.

With the September 2000 announcement of the iBook (FireWire), Apple finally brought FireWire to its entire product line. It also introduced an innovative new combination video/audio out port (a standard miniplug), which allowed consumers to watch their iMovies (or their DVDs on the SE version) on their TV. The iBook (FireWire) was available in two configurations: a 366 Mhz model, with 64 MB of RAM cost $1499 and was available in Indigo or Key Lime. The 466 Mhz "Special Edition" iBook came with a DVD-ROM drive, and was available in Graphite or Key Lime for $1799. Source: Apple History

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yea, that's what I was thinking it was. So, if it is it, OS 10.3.7 is the newest it will run? To the question I asked earlier, in OS 9, what is the equivalent to the "system profiler" and how would one get to it? I think if I can get him to that, we can find out for sure what it is (he was hoping for up to 512mb Ram, but if it is the SE (Firewire) he might not (maybe) be able to).

Thanks again!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, I was just thinking. My friend also has an external hard drive that could possibly be used with the iBook. I'm not sure what part of the hardware requirements his iBook would fall short of for the newer OS versions (although I do admit that this is an "old" mac with a "slow" processor). Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rs2sensen said:
Yea, that's what I was thinking it was. So, if it is it, OS 10.3.7 is the newest it will run? To the question I asked earlier, in OS 9, what is the equivalent to the "system profiler" and how would one get to it? I think if I can get him to that, we can find out for sure what it is (he was hoping for up to 512mb Ram, but if it is the SE (Firewire) he might not (maybe) be able to).

Thanks again!

Actually, the equivalent is the same thing. In OS 9, to get to the system profiler, just navigate to it from the Apple menu...it should be near the top as the Apple menu alphabetizes itself. You can also choose "About This Computer" from the Apple Menu for some more info on it.

Oh and there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to update to 10.3.8 or any OS update after that. (the Apple History site is a great source for info...but that iBook page hadn't been updated since 2004...10.3.8 wasn't ready for release until 2005 :) ) The Clamshells are fully supported for OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.