Old MacBook Air Clamshell Mode

Reaction score
I have a 2010 11" MacBook Air (10.9.5) at my condo that runs 24/7. It does some webcam software and a shell script that keeps the Internet up. I have it set to restart every 24 hours.

In the past I’ve always left it with the lid slightly open. This has been working fine for four or five years.

Now I’m wondering if it will keep running in clamshell mode even with no external monitor/mouse/keyboard.

I could just try it, but I thought I’d ask first.

TIA

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now I’m wondering if it will keep running in clamshell mode even with no external monitor/mouse/keyboard.

I do not believe this will work. Technically to be considered in clamshell "mode"...it needs to have an external monitor connected. If the MacBook Air's display is closed without an external monitor connected (and for the MacBook Air to detect)...it will simply go to sleep.;)

But...in the past members have mentioned various apps that do things like prevent a computer from EVER going to sleep (I believe one of them was called "caffeine"). Maybe it's possible to install one of these apps...and possibly prevent an Apple portable computer from going to sleep when the display lid is closed.

Maybe check it out...and let us know.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe, if you have all the proper settings this will work.

@pigoo3, how would the MBA know if the external display wasn’t just switched off, but a cable was connected? Especially, if the MBA was set to “never sleep”?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@pigoo3, how would the MBA know if the external display wasn’t just switched off, but a cable was connected?

There's communication between the computer & the monitor. If the external monitor were shut off (no power-on signal)...then no video signal is sent to the external monitor. And if the MacBook Air detects no power signal from the external monitor...then the MacBook Air will go to sleep as well.

Especially, if the MBA was set to “never sleep”?

I believe the "never sleep" setting only counts if the MacBook Air display or external display is operational. If the MacBook Air display is closed...and/or an external monitor is attached (but powered off)...then the computer will go to sleep since no display (internal or external) is operational.

I'm sure we have lots of members that could do a test. Someone give it a shot. If I'm wrong...no problamo.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless Apple has changed the way Clamshell mode works, Nick is correct. I ran my MacBook that way for years and unless the external monitor is detected the machine will sleep. Also, in order for clamshell mode to work, the machine has to be on AC power not battery.

OP
R
Reaction score
The only reason I haven’t tested is because that computer keeps the Internet going. If it goes to sleep and the Internet goes down my working wife will be quite unhappy.

I have tested with an old White MacBook. It definitely goes to sleep as soon as the cover is closed, even though it is set to never sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It definitely goes to sleep as soon as the cover is closed, even though it is set to never sleep.
Even with a display cable connected?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.