Old iMac won't update, what are my options?

Reaction score
So I have an iMac running OS X 10.5.8 the trademark area says 1983-2009 so I presume it's made in 2009.

2GB ram and 2.8GHZ.Processor.

When I try to do a software update, it says that my software is up to date, I'm guessing not allowed to update because it's too old?

Having the most up to date OS doesn't really bother me in itself, however I cannot download/upgrade any programs as it all says that it won't run on OS X... so many programs will not run because of this issue...

This is what annoys me about Apple. My hardware is fine but they want me to buy a new computer!

So my question is, are there any options available to me to get updated OS?

I was thinking:

Maybe if I upgrade the RAM it will allow me to update?
Maybe if I just delete everything and run windows permanently through bootcamp. Might be slow though.

Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I have an iMac running OS X 10.5.8 the trademark area says 1983-2009 so I presume it's made in 2009.

2GB ram and 2.8GHZ.Processor.

When I try to do a software update, it says that my software is up to date, I'm guessing not allowed to update because it's too old?

No. It just means that you have the latest version of OS 10.5 (10.5.8). To go further/newer...you need to upgrade to a newer version. There is a difference between "updating" and "upgrading"!:)

This process works EXACTLY the same with with Windows computers. With Windows computers...if you have the latest version of Windows 7...and you want Windows 8...you have to purchase Windows 8.

This is what annoys me about Apple. My hardware is fine but they want me to buy a new computer!

No...the problem is user-error!;) If you do not understand the Macintosh computer OS upgrade process...then you should ask first...BEFORE bad-mouthing Apple for what is not understood!;)

You have lots of options to upgrade the OS on your computer...WITHOUT having to purchase a new computer!:)

So my question is, are there any options available to me to get updated OS?

Yes you can upgrade to:

- OS 10.6 = $19.99
- OS 10.7 = $19.99
- OS 10.8 = $19.99
- OS 10.10 = Free (if your computer meets the min. specs)

* Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I am willing to accept that it is user error...I hope it is...losing pride is cheaper than buying a new mac :p

I have just checked again...
If I try to upgrade to Yosemite it says I must have Lion first. So I just have to upgrade to Lion then another upgrade to Yosemite? Is that correct?

And Lion I can buy from the app store for 20 bucks. I am happy to do this, but will it definitely work? Does it work like windows where I can just format everything and start again? ##Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am willing to accept that it is user error...I hope it is...losing pride is cheaper than buying a new mac :p

Good deal...and no problems.:)

I have just checked again...
If I try to upgrade to Yosemite it says I must have Lion first. So I just have to upgrade to Lion then another upgrade to Yosemite? Is that correct?

Technically you don't need Lion first. What you need is access to the Mac App Store (so you can download Yosemite). And to get access to the Mac App Store...you need a minimum of OS 10.6.6 (which is Snow Leopard...the OS version before Lion).

Snow Leopard also costs $19.99. So it's your choice whether to get 10.6 or 10.7 for $19.99. But...the BIG difference is...10.6 was the last OS to come on DVD. So if you like having your OS installer on DVD...10.6 is the last one. After installing 10.6 (and updating to 10.6.8...the latest version of 10.6)...then you will have access to the Mac App Store to download Yosemite.

But...realize that going from OS 10.5 to 10.10 is FIVE OS versions newer. This is kind of like going from a 1970's car to a 2015 car. If you currently have important installed apps with 10.5...I can guarantee you 100% none of them will run with 10.10 (Yosemite). You will have to purchase newer versions of them to work with Yosemite.

If you don't have any current important installed apps...no problem.:)

And Lion I can buy from the app store for 20 bucks. I am happy to do this, but will it definitely work? Does it work like windows where I can just format everything and start again? ##Cheers

If what you mean is could you completely erase the HD...and do a fresh install of the OS (Yosemite)...yes...that can be done.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok Lion has been purchased, waiting for them to send it to my email. Fingers crossed you just saved me 2000 bucks!

If everything goes to plan, I should probably upgrade the memory to cope, are you aware of the maximum RAM this machine can take?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok Lion has been purchased, waiting for them to send it to my email. Fingers crossed you just saved me 2000 bucks!

If everything goes to plan, I should probably upgrade the memory to cope, are you aware of the maximum RAM this machine can take?

Sorry...that is one thing I forgot to mention. Yes...upgrading the ram would be great idea!

As far as max. ram. That "1983-2009" date you saw has to do with the OS. OS 10.5.8 was last updated in 2009 (that's why it says "2009"). If I got things correct from the info you gave (2gig ram & 2.8ghz CPU)...it's most likely a 2008 iMac. Its max ram is 6gig.

The iMac has two ram slots...so you could upgrade to 4gig or 6gig. The 6gig upgrade is usually 2x the price of the 4gig upgrade. Your choice. Probably better to go with 6gig if you're going to install Yosemite. But if you really don't have the budget for the 6gig of ram...you might be ok with 4gig.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Hey Nick

I thought Apple made updating to the latest OS a free upgrade now? Why did he have to pay? Remember I'm new to the Mac so don't be to hard on me lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought Apple made updating to the latest OS a free upgrade now? Why did he have to pay? Remember I'm new to the Mac so don't be to hard on me lol

OP is currently running OS 10.5. To access the Mac App Store (in order to download a newer OS version that is free)…or to download any downloadable any OS version (free or otherwise)…a minimum of OS 10.6.6 is needed. OS 10.6 is not free.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.