Old Canon CanoScan8800F Scanner with Mac

Reaction score
I recently broke out my old Pentax SLR and have been enjoying the delayed gratification of shooting film again (stick with me, it's relevant). I was looking for a negative scanner since I don't currently have access to a darkroom, and found a used Canon CanoScan8800F on Craigslist. After buying it and trying to get it running at home, I discovered that neither Apple nor Canon has produced a driver that is compatible with this scanner since about 2015. Yosemite was the last OS that was compatible. For clarification, I'm running a Late '11 MBP 13", that I swapped in a 125GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and I pulled the SuperDrive and replaced it with a tray with a 1TB HDD, hence the small main drive. I'm currently running macOS 10.15.6 Catalina. Yes, I'm rocking a really old machine but it does everything I ask of it and more.

After a couple of days of searching the collective wisdom of the Internet, it was suggested to abandon entirely the idea of using the Canon software and a download program called VueScan, which came with generally good reviews all around. It connects to pretty much any scanner made and will work to use it's features, and it has a free trial, but to save the files you attempt to scan without a watermark you have to purchase the program, $40 to use the plain scanning features, $100 to use it with negative/slide scanning features. I didn't want to drop $100 on a program to run a scanner I bought for $20. And I wasn't at all impressed with the image quality I got with VueScan, even after playing with some scanner settings (perhaps because I hadn't bought the program, but I'd think they'd want to put their best foot forward to potential buyers, but who knows?). So back to the collective wisdom of the internet I went.

I decided to dig out an old hard drive I had, wipe it, do a clean install of Yosemite, and just plug it in and boot to it when I want to scan negatives. Then save to the internal HDD so I can access it when booting normally to my SSD. An alternative is to partition the main SSD/HDD and install Yosemite in the new partition. I finally got it all running last night and I'm really impressed with the image quality I get and how easy the native software is to use. Mostly just putting this out there for anyone who runs into a similar issue. I try to share my successes on forums because so often people get on them with a problem, get a bunch of suggestions, and then you never hear from them what the solution was. Hopefully this will help someone at some future point.

A note for anyone looking for this and having trouble: download the installer on Safari, it wouldn't download from Chrome but it was suggested to try on Safari and it worked immediately.

I used this helpful page to make a bootable Yosemite installer on a thumb drive and erase a HDD and install it:

I downloaded the installer from Apple at this page (hopefully it's still up, it's the oldest one still up as of this writing):

I downloaded the drivers and program to use with the scanner from Canon here:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I recently broke out my old Pentax SLR and have been enjoying the delayed gratification of shooting film again...

Congratulations on your successful setup and scanning situation, and welcome to the mac- forums members world.

It's nice to read that your method worked well for you and your suggestions may work well for others who might be in a similar situation... 😏

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.