Oh .. No .. Oops..

Reaction score
Ooops. I think I deleted nearly everything. I change the name of my files (the folder) from ******* to *****. Now my files and settings are gone. Oh nooo. How can I get them back and what happened???

Thank you!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what was the folder that you changed the name of?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, apart from the obvious of change the name back to what it was - you really are not giving enough info to those that may be able to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Ooops. I think I deleted nearly everything. I change the name of my files (the folder) from ******* to *****. Now my files and settings are gone. Oh nooo. How can I get them back and what happened???

Thank you!!

Just go back to the Users ( Macintosh HD/Users/) Folder and the all the Files are still there.

Btw I'm assuming you just changed the Name of your Home Folder, so then when you Mac booted upo next time, not finding the Orignal Folder it created one....giving you the sense that the Folder had been deleted.

Wild Guess but i reckon I got it right and if not, make sure to include more information next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Yeah, try to give a little more info.

I'll take a guess from what you said.

Ooops. I think I deleted nearly everything.

I change the name of my files (the folder) from ******* to *****. Now my files and settings are gone. Oh nooo. How can I get them back and what happened???

Thank you!!

I'm guessing you changed the name of your Home folder?

your Home folder = where you see the sub-folders Desktop, Documents, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.

It's located at HD > Users > [your user account name]

Is that the folder of which the name you changed??

If so, try to change it back.

Mac OS X might have created another one in the meantime to "replace" your old one, which has gone "missing."
In that case, you might have to delete the new one first, then rename your original one back to what it was called.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
You changed the name of your home folder. Just name it back to what it was then log out and back in again.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yes, sorry, I am new to macs.

The home folder was what I renamed. All my files are in a folder named 'cody' which is what I changed the folder name to while the home folder I currently have is my original home folder name. I tried simply moving all the files from cody into that but it didn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.