.Ogg For Dummies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
So I want convert all my iTunes music (aac) to .ogg files to save space, since I hear it is of equal if not better sound quality, and a much smaller size.

I still want to play my music in iTunes, so I guess I need a plugin?

I was using some converter earlier, but it kept making a duplicate file. For example:

Song A.aac when converted would leave me with

Song A.ogg & Song A.acc.

Is there a way not to wind up with 2 files, so I dont have to delete 4000 songs that arent .ogg after conversion?

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Ogg support is very iffy in iTunes as of now

http://xiph.org/ Can play some types of ogg

But you are not getting any benefit by converting files that have already been compressed into ogg's. If you are going to use ogg only use it when coming from the original lossless source, not an already encoded lossy source.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thats sad, I really wanted to play oggs in iTunes. None of my music is in .ogg as of yet.

Reaction score
At one time there was a plugin to play .ogg in iTunes. That was back when i had a G5. I have since upgraded(?) to an intel system mac and so far at least i haven't found a way to play ogg in iTunes.

The .ogg format will save you a lot of space on your hard drive for sure. A 64 .ogg is about equal to a 128 mp3 in quality, but a heck of a lot smaller.

Ok, we both got lucky in searching further i found a post by Amen-Moses that pointed the way to the solution. Go to this url he provided and download a file called xiphqt 0.1.7. Follow the instructions and iTunes will play .ogg files...Works for me!!

http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I'm not sure you'll save a whole lot of space with ogg vs 128bit aac, and it'll be less portable (if you ever get an iPod or an Apple TV, you won't be able to play ogg files). I'd say that the 128bit aac files are more comparable to 160-192bit mp3 files in terms of quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Cog can play OGG files, as well as most audio formats out there (even some real obscure ones ;p ).

See my sig below for link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
VLC plays ogg files as well. I use VLC when streaming some internet radio stations. Works great!

Reaction score
I'm not sure you'll save a whole lot of space with ogg vs 128bit aac, and it'll be less portable (if you ever get an iPod or an Apple TV, you won't be able to play ogg files). I'd say that the 128bit aac files are more comparable to 160-192bit mp3 files in terms of quality.

Your right about an ogg not being quite as portable, but they can always be converted back to an mp3 to put in your ipod.

As for not saving any space, that isn't true. I converted a 1.8 gig .wav file to an 128 aac file and it was 57 megs. I then converted that same 1.8 gig .wav file to a 160 .ogg and it was only 47.2 megs. Think how much smaller it would have been at the 128 format, or say a 96 format. When it comes to smaller files that retain good sound .ogg is right up there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.