Official Tips . . . and a Jaw-Dropper

Reaction score
I came across this page at Apple's site that has a tip for OS X, or at least Tiger (scroll down), with a link to the next tip, along with a link to an archive of them.

One of the tips hits the height of dock irony (I dislike the thing, and run Classic Menu because it mimics the pre-OS X apple menu).
. . . Then you can access these by Control-clicking on the folder in the dock and a pop-up menu will appear that looks a lot like the Apple menu from OS 9.
An admission of guilt!

Another one admits that the dock's a nuisance. Heads are gonna roll.

The tips page is worth a visit, though. It has some good stuff, like this one. It could be a lot easier than fiddling with the sticky-keys controls if your mouse drowns in mid-stream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I dunno, I actually like the dock. But then again, I tend to use Quicksilver more as an application launcher.... :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What are you talking about? The dock is singularly the most impressive and useful feature of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I agree, considering that Dock.app includes and controls Expose and Dashboard, respectively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
the Dock was one of the best things to happen to MacOS. Back when I had a choice of booting in to 9 or X, I always hated the 'archaic' feel of the Mac OS 9 menu.
Liking the OS 9 menu system over the OS X dock system is like preferring the Windows 3.1 interface look and feel over Windows 98. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I love the Dock...cool and very handy!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i dig the dock.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love the Dock. It was one of the first things I saw when booting OSX 10.2.0 up the first time and loved it right from the beginning.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
from the last article: "Oh sure, you could move the Dock to where it’s anchored on the left or right side of the screen, but that just feels weird."

why does it feel weird? even as i've been using windows for the last however many years, i tend to keep the taskbar on every different side for some amount of time just to switch things up, or make the way i work or use a computer at home suit my needs for a while. the dock feels the same way to me. i've had it on the left since day one or two of owning my macbook. seemed to make more sense on a widescreen display where vertical real estate is in much shorter supply than horizontal. it also falls in line with the apple menu and is closer to the sidebar of my finder folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
from the last article: "Oh sure, you could move the Dock to where it’s anchored on the left or right side of the screen, but that just feels weird."

why does it feel weird? even as i've been using windows for the last however many years, i tend to keep the taskbar on every different side for some amount of time just to switch things up, or make the way i work or use a computer at home suit my needs for a while. the dock feels the same way to me. i've had it on the left since day one or two of owning my macbook. seemed to make more sense on a widescreen display where vertical real estate is in much shorter supply than horizontal. it also falls in line with the apple menu and is closer to the sidebar of my finder folders.

eric, you are about to get your wings!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.