OEM Verions of software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
Good afternoon all,

After living windows free since 2008, I finally come to a point where I have to run Windows software. I need some Ham radio programming software that only comes in Windows, and I have to use Access. And it has to be portable. I am using this last little requirement as an excuse to get the Macbook Air I have openly lusted over for years. I plan to install parallels to run the PC software.

While on the Other World Computing site I there was an offer for an OEM version of Parallels for $49. I believe the normal price is about $79. I am also seeing OEM versions of Windows 8.1 for around $90. This close to the Windows 9 debut, I’m kind of surprised it’s not a lot cheaper.

Will purchasing OEM versions of the software make it more difficult in the future in regards to functionality or upgrades/support?

Since I am only wanting to run a couple of programs and not join the windows ecosystem, I don’t really care about using Win 9. I would rather let the Microsoft sheeple work out the bugs first. Is there any reason I should just get version 9? I can’t think of one, but I know zippity about windows anymore.

Thanks,
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Unless you need continual access to Windows why not simply install it via Boot camp, then boot into Windows for a session when you need to access the programming software? I do this successfully when I need to run my Peaberry SDR transceiver under Win 7. The rest of the time my MBP is running Mavericks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless you need continual access to Windows why not simply install it via Boot camp, then boot into Windows for a session when you need to access the programming software? I do this successfully when I need to run my Peaberry SDR transceiver under Win 7. The rest of the time my MBP is running Mavericks.

That is an option.

IIRC, you have to partition off a chunk of your drive for bootcamp, while the VM created by parallels is pretty much a file on the hard drive. Since I will only have 512G on the Macbook, I was trying to save my space.

Also, I just like the thought of not having to re-boot if I didn't have to. I like the idea of being able to copy and paste the info from access to the Mac side on the fly. Access and the RT systems software are not going to tax the computer, so I didn't think I needed the extra resources gained when running bootcamp.

That may change when I get the system and start using it. In the meantime, what about the OEM software?

Thanks,
Jeff

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
IIRC, you have to partition off a chunk of your drive for bootcamp, while the VM created by parallels is pretty much a file on the hard drive. Since I will only have 512G on the Macbook, I was trying to save my space.

Just so you know…when you install VM programs like Parallels or VmWare Fusion…you still must dedicate a portion of the hard drive similar to a bootcamp partition.

With bootcamp…there is better compatibility and things run faster….and you don't have the additional cost of Parallels. But I can understand if you don't want to go thru rebooting.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good afternoon all,

Will purchasing OEM versions of the software make it more difficult in the future in regards to functionality or upgrades/support?

Since I am only wanting to run a couple of programs and not join the windows ecosystem, I don’t really care about using Win 9. I would rather let the Microsoft sheeple work out the bugs first. Is there any reason I should just get version 9? I can’t think of one, but I know zippity about windows anymore.

Thanks,
Jeff

Anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

You're asking us to try to predict what various OEMs will or will not do with respect to upgrades or functions regarding their software? No one can answer that with any certainty.

And what makes you think we're "that close to the Windows 9 debut"? Everything I've read about it makes me believe we won't see it until next year sometime. And, older versions of Windows such as Windows 7 remain very popular which is why prices have not come down.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're asking us to try to predict what various OEMs will or will not do with respect to upgrades or functions regarding their software? No one can answer that with any certainty.

And what makes you think we're "that close to the Windows 9 debut"? Everything I've read about it makes me believe we won't see it until next year sometime. And, older versions of Windows such as Windows 7 remain very popular which is why prices have not come down.

Chsag,

Not asking anyone to be a fortune teller. $49 dollars for a regularly $79 piece of software seems like a good price. A price that good, I have to ask myself what the catch is. Is it priced this good lacks functionality of the retail version? Is it not upgradable, and I will have to pay full retail price on Version 11?

There are folks on this board with a lot more experience and knowledge than I have about this. I realize they can't predict the future, but I figured there are some here with enough experience to be able to offer some insight into how this OEM thing works. Have past versions of Parallels OEM been the same as retail? No guarantee the next one will be like that, but if they have done it that way in the past, you could have some expectation they would keep doing it.

As far as being close to the Windows 9 debut, I seem to have misunderstood Mister Softy's September 30 event. I thought that was the debut of Windows 9, but I now see it is a preview. My bad.

Jeff

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not asking anyone to be a fortune teller. $49 dollars for a regularly $79 piece of software seems like a good price. A price that good, I have to ask myself what the catch is. Is it priced this good lacks functionality of the retail version? Is it not upgradable, and I will have to pay full retail price on Version 11?

All I can tell you is what I know based on my own personal experience:

OEM versions are generally included with hardware purchases and usually come with a disclaimer that support will not be provided. Which means you're on your own if something goes wrong and you need tech support input. Nada.

The upgradeable part is a horse of a different color. OEM versions of Windows that I have purchased in the past have always been upgradeable. However, I have purchased OEM software which died with that version and could not be upgraded. Each case is different as it can work both ways.

Getting back to Parallels, I honestly do not know if the OEM version can be upgraded. The copies of Parallels I've purchased were not OEM but I got them heavily discounted thru various specials.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
IIRC the OEM copy of Parallels that I purchased was upgradeable but I am not sure. That was some time ago and I may not be right about that. History isn't necessarily a good indicator though. Even if previous OEM versions have been upgradeable that's no indication current or future versions will be upgradeable.

My suggestion would be to read the terms of the deal carefully or check their site. I've seen companies take both approaches. Some offer free/reduced upgrades on OEM software and others do not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.