Oddity I came accross last night

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Last night I was setting up my Music folder to be shared on my network using SMB protocol so my girlfriends Dell WinXP laptop could have access to my iTunes library without physically having the MP3s on her Laptop (she knows the Mac has to be on and it will only work at home, clever girl). I figured out I needed to loosen up the folder permissions for the whole music folder in order to get this to work. I finally got it and the Win box saw the folder I wanted it to see, I pointed iTunes to it and had it add my Mac's Music library to it's iTunes Data file. I had done this on Win boxs previously no problem. I then noticed Time Machine was running like GANGBUSTERS doing a backup. I looked at the drop down and it notified me it was doing a 44.5GB backup, which EXACTLY the size of my iTunes library. This exceeded the remaining disk space I had, the only thing I could do was wipe the time machine disk clean and have it do another initial backup, which was no problem. My question is this:

Does time machine make duplicates of files if metadata such as file and folder permissions change? If so, how do you stop such nonsense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Is there a reason why you just don't use iTunes Library Sharing inside of iTunes Preferences.

All machines with iTunes installed on your LAN's subnet will be able to listen to your library without utilizing any file sharing right in iTunes. It will show up as a second library to their own.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Is there a reason why you just don't use iTunes Library Sharing inside of iTunes Preferences.

All machines with iTunes installed on your LAN's subnet will be able to listen to your library without utilizing any file sharing right in iTunes. It will show up as a second library to their own.

I wanted the artwork to pop up for her. Is there anyway to get this to happen while viewing a shared library?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.