Odd Airport Express Behavior

Reaction score
Issue began when I recently upgraded to Yosemite on my Mac Mini.

I have an Airport Express connected via ethernet in another part of the house. This serves as a WiFi point, but also connects to my stereo system via digital connection. All of my music is on my Mini & I play it via iTunes, controlled with the Remote app on my phone.

The issue I'm having is pretty odd. At least to me. I can select the Airport Express in iTunes and play music thru it all day long, as long as the monitor that's connected to the Mini (via HDMI) is turned on. As soon as I turn the monitor off, the connection drops. When I turn the monitor back on, I have to reconnect the Airport Express in iTunes. Once reconnected it works fine. I can close iTunes & reopen it, play music, stop music all day and it's still connected & working fine. When I turn the monitor off again, no connection.

I don't want to have the monitor (really a 42" tv) on in another part of the house, while listening to music. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
E-

OP
E
Reaction score
An update:

If I select the Airport Express in System Preferences -> Sound, I can turn the monitor off and have the music stay on in the other room, but then there's no sound out of the TV. In the past, I've always been able to choose HDMI in Sound and be able to have sound from the Express at my stereo and sound at my TV when I turn it on. Now it looks like I'll have to switch back & forth, depending on what I'm doing. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.