Numbers how to use 2 screens for large spreadsheets

Reaction score
How do I use Numbers on yosmite to display onto 2 screens for one large spreadsheet? over a dual display setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What's working for me here, not in Excel or on a Mac, is to position the window to the far left, then drag the right corner to the extreme right, on the second monitor.

OP
W
Reaction score
Far top Left corner to borrow right on second monitor

Nope it did not work for me it stops on the monitor top an when I drop it stops on the bottom screen of the monitor and locks there but will not allow me to keep going to the second screen??

Still not helping thanks for trying do I have to make mac my main monitor and then drag to second screen - second display or I can use second display to main mac on my right

my setup is a second monitor Left and main mac is on right

is how I got mien setup?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nope it did not work for me it stops on the monitor top an when I drop it stops on the bottom screen of the monitor and locks there but will not allow me to keep going to the second screen??

You did not tell us what computer you have…or any details of these two monitors. But…if the monitors are exactly the same size/same resolution…this sort thing is pretty easy (exactly how "toMACsh" explained).

If the two monitors are different sizes…things can be a bit more tricky…but certainly doable. You need to look in System Preferences…then Display…to see how your two monitors are arranged.

If the two monitors are very different in size (or the two resolutions used are very different)…the way the "Numbers window" gets dragged across the two displays needs to conform to how the two monitors are arranged in the Display System Preference.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Displays on 2 displays for spreadsheet must me the same

so I need to get mac resolution on main mac and make it identical on 2nd monitor correct to make it span out 2 displays right?

OP
W
Reaction score
here is my display references

iMac 21.5 is on 1920 x 1080 and Display is on 1680 x 1050

Hope this helps.

M

MacInWin

I have two monitors as well and cannot drag the right edge of the windows on the left monitor to the right monitor at all. No matter how narrow, or where on the screen the window is, it will NOT move to the right monitor. The one on the right is actually higher resolution than the one on the left, so theoretically any height window should bridge, but nope, none do. And if I drag the window from one to the other and drop it partially moved, it drops whatever is on the TO monitor and shows only a slice on the FROM monitor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so I need to get mac resolution on main mac and make it identical on 2nd monitor correct to make it span out 2 displays right?

No this is not what needs to be done. Both displays should be at their native resolution (1920 x 1080 and 1680 x 1050). What I was saying earlier was…IF…the two displays are very different in size…dragging a window across both display's can be more tricky.

As an example (below)…an apps window can only be dragged across only as much as the smaller display will allow:

lion_mirror_change_display.png

Your two monitors resolutions are fairly close in size…so there really shouldn't be a problem dragging an apps window across both of them

One question…how are your two monitors arranged (arrangement shown in Display System Preferences)?

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
yes same as your screen shot, it did work in Mavericks OS X but since I wen to Yosemite the option vanished and now it wont allow me to do it anymore Im thinking of going back to OS X Mavericks to get my function 2 display for a large spreadsheet working again...:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes same as your screen shot, it did work in Mavericks OS X but since I wen to Yosemite the option vanished and now it wont allow me to do it anymore Im thinking of going back to OS X Mavericks to get my function 2 display for a large spreadsheet working again...:(

Thanks for mentioning this (that everything worked as expected previously with Mavericks).:)

From your earlier posts it was hard to know if you were a new Mac-User (and Yosemite was the first Mac OS you had experience with)…or if you were an experienced Mac-User (experience with previous OS versions).

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with Yosemite, dual monitors, and extended desktop. According to this Apple document (below)…there shouldn't be anything unusual with Yosemite:

OS X Yosemite: Connect multiple displays to your Mac

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Ok, that one worked, but nothing on that page helps. I've attached my setting window. I have a MBP on the left and a Thunderbolt Display on the right, connected by Thunderbolt. Nothing will drag over the boundary, nothing. No window from either side crosses the divide. I can drag a WINDOW over the boundary, but if I leave it sitting on the boundary, as I said, the window portion on the TO monitor disappears and the portion on the FROM monitor is cut off at the boundary.

2014-12-17 03.33.00 pm.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing will drag over the boundary, nothing. No window from either side crosses the divide. I can drag a WINDOW over the boundary, but if I leave it sitting on the boundary, as I said, the window portion on the TO monitor disappears and the portion on the FROM monitor is cut off at the boundary.

What OS are you running…Yosemite?

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Nope but interesting when I move spreadsheet from top left monitor to the right monitor half of the sheet vanishes and looks like it got cut off and i locks on to the edge of the Left monitor and does move to the 2nd display I tried reverse method still cuts off half of the main display or 2nd monitor see if I can do a screen pic of it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.