Number Lock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz, 8 GB memory, 1 TB HDD
Hi, Guys
Any idea how to switch on the number lock on a 3rd party keyboard. I've got a Matias Quiet Pro for Mac (UK version). The number keys at the side just don't work. I've Bing'd the question and found some suggestions... like F6 or the Clear key (+ shift or Alt) but none seem to work. Don't use this a lot, so it's not a big problem, but it would be nice for when I'm doing household finances and stuff. Please note that this is a UK version of the keyboard so may be different to US version.

... and while I'm at it... I do a lot of writing and a lot of dialogue... it would be nice if I could re-assign the quote key (") to another key that doesn't need shifting... or even swap it back to where the @ key is (as I was used to that on Windows. Seen an App called Ukelele that might do that... is it any good?
If anyone can help... thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi, Guys
Any idea how to switch on the number lock on a 3rd party keyboard. I've got a Matias Quiet Pro for Mac (UK version). The number keys at the side just don't work. I've Bing'd the question and found some suggestions... like F6 or the Clear key (+ shift or Alt) but none seem to work. Don't use this a lot, so it's not a big problem, but it would be nice for when I'm doing household finances and stuff. Please note that this is a UK version of the keyboard so may be different to US version.

Quite frankly that sounds like it's broken. Is it still under warranty? I absolutely would be getting up with Matias about it. I just looked up the keyboard to be sure, and that is indeed a "full" keyboard. There is no number lock because the number pad keys don't double as navigation keys. At least they shouldn't be. Do they do anything at all when used?

Open up System Preferences, Keyboard. Under Input Sources, are you set as "British" in the left-hand column? At the bottom, enable the option "Show input menu...", then from the menubar item, select "Show Keyboard Viewer". Is there any reaction on that viewer when you press those keys on the physical keyboard? For that matter, if you use your mouse to press the keys on the virtual one?

... and while I'm at it... I do a lot of writing and a lot of dialogue... it would be nice if I could re-assign the quote key (") to another key that doesn't need shifting... or even swap it back to where the @ key is (as I was used to that on Windows. Seen an App called Ukelele that might do that... is it any good?
If anyone can help... thanks!

Karabiner is the only one I'm aware of that is up-to-date.
Karabiner for Mac | MacUpdate

An alternative may be to use OS X's built-in feature for customizing text replacement shortcuts. Open up System Preferences, then Keyboard. Go to the "Text" tab and take note of the defaults in there. For example, Typing "(c)" will be auto-converted to "©" when you hit the spacebar. You can create more of your own choosing. For example, you could make a pair of apostrophes convert to a quote mark, so '' becomes ". EDIT: I need to point out that this only works in "proper" Mac native apps. Some apps are compiled with cross-platform tools and can't access some of OS X's more advanced features like this one. Firefox is the most notable example of this, and Adobe's software.

OP
el_guapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. I'll have a go now. I'm sure that my PC keyboard (which was a Dell and was a full keyboard) had a number lock... or at least a key which switched the numberpad on (maybe that's the same thing). The little number lock light was always on as I just left it switched on. Can't check now as I sold it. I know the cheap Mac-enabled keyboard I used first does exactly the same thing (ie... numbers don't work) so I assumed it wasn't a fault with the keyboard. The number pad "enter" key works... as does /*-+.

OP
el_guapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only reaction is a noise when I hit any input key... except for the numbers of the numeric keypad, then no noise.
I'm still not convinced it's broken... as the cheap Cherry keyboard is the same. But I've only had it a couple of weeks, so the warranty is no problem, I'll try Matias first.
Cheers

OP
el_guapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SORTED!!!
Look... 56987452345 (that's not my credit card number by the way.)

Found the answer in an obscure corner of the Apple support forum. The solution is:

Open the Universal Access Preference Pane
Cilck on the mouse tab
If "enable mouse keys" is clicked on, click it off

... that's it.

Lifeisabeach... thanks for your effort and time, now I'm going to have some fun with Karabiner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
SORTED!!!
Look... 56987452345 (that's not my credit card number by the way.)

Found the answer in an obscure corner of the Apple support forum. The solution is:

Open the Universal Access Preference Pane
Cilck on the mouse tab
If "enable mouse keys" is clicked on, click it off

... that's it.

Lifeisabeach... thanks for your effort and time, now I'm going to have some fun with Karabiner

Aha! Thanks for the update... it would have never occurred to me to look there, although since you had the same problem with the Cherry, I was thinking it had to be a software setting. Anywho, glad it's sorted.

OP
el_guapo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did look in the universal access pane earlier, but I looked in the keyboard settings... who'd have thought to look in the mouse settings!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.