notebook for programming

Reaction score
I have extensive knowledge with windows and an ever increasing knowledge with linux but I have very little experience with Mac and OSX.

I'm looking to buy a macbook, partly for just learning the ins and outs of the mac OS and partly to learn programing from the mac perspective.

I'm on a budget so I'm trying to figure out the minimum system I need to get, and probably through ebay or carigslist. I'm thinking about exploring the iPhone SDK which means it has to be an intel based system not an older one.

Another thought, although not a hardware thing, is about IDEs for OSX. You can find an opensource solution for anything on linux, my university is a MSDNAA subscriber so I have visual studio for my windows box but I'm assuming I'll have to buy one for Mac.

Thanks for any thoughts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The current line of MacBook Pro machines should suffice for what you need. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend. As for purchasing from eBay or Craig's list, well that's up to you. I personally would avoid both places.

If you're on a tight budget, take a look at Apple's refurbished models. They come with a full warranty and you can generally save anywhere from 10% or more on a machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
When it comes to such a huge purchase I would avoid craigslist or ebay. You can do just fine from the Apple store refurbished models that run and work perfectly plus they have the warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.