Not sure what to buy...help?

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and a complete computer moron. I had a Blueberry Mac years ago as my first computer and have since migrated to Windows for some strange reason (conformity? stupidity?) I now want to go back to the more intuitive and user-friendly Mac. My needs are basic: I surf, shop, email, download a few jpegs here and there, watch YouTube, type the odd document now and then. I don't think I need mega memory, do I? I have a nice Dell flat panel moniter, Dell keyboard and mouse. I would love some thoughts on which mini I should get - - the 1.6GHz or the 1.83? This is all gibberish to me anyways..I would like to stay under $800 if possible.
Thanks in advance:girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since your needs are basic, you definitely won't need the faster processor. So you can start out with the $599 Mac Mini. Upgrade it to 1GB of RAM just because that seems to be about the sweet spot for OS X. Since you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, your total would essentially be $674, well below your $800 budget :black:

Now, I would still recommend getting an Apple keyboard simply because the keys are slightly different compared to a regular PC keyboard. This would just make your life a bit easier (plus, an Apple keyboard only costs $29). So with the above computer and an Apple keyboard, your total comes out to $703

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
This is pretty much the position I was in. I'd 2nd the recommendation for the 1.66GHz Mini. The 1.83GHz is a nice machine, but at that price, you may as well just buy a 17" 1.83GHz iMac.

1GB of RAM is definitely a good idea. Actually, I agree with everything Kash said. ;)

I bought an older Mini, used on eBay, and I couldn't be happier. I had a Dell Dimension, and i'm still using the Dell Flat panel monitor. I did buy an Apple Keyboard, then Apple mouse however. And I like those better.

Something to note about the Mini (and all current Macs) is that they do *not* have PS2 connections for input devices. In english, this means that if your Dell keyboard and/or mouse have the round plugs on the end of the wires, you won't be able to plug them into the Mini, as it only takes USB stuff.

You have 2 ways of getting around this:
-Buy a PS2 to USB converter, which will cost you about $15-20 to get one that will take the keyboard and mouse and plug it into a single USB on the Mini.

-Buy an Apple Keyboard, which is $29 and has 2 USB connections on it to plug a USB mouse into. My Dell mouse was USB, so I was able to just plug it into the Apple keyboard. I'm not sure about yours, it it's PS2 you'll need a converter or a USB mouse.

Just something to keep in mind. The Monitor will plug right into the Mini if it's DVI. And if it's a VGA connection, the Mini comes with a converter.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
This is pretty much the position I was in. I'd 2nd the recommendation for the 1.66GHz Mini. The 1.83GHz is a nice machine, but at that price, you may as well just buy a 17" 1.83GHz iMac.

1GB of RAM is definitely a good idea. Actually, I agree with everything Kash said. ;)

I bought an older Mini, used on eBay, and I couldn't be happier. I had a Dell Dimension, and i'm still using the Dell Flat panel monitor. I did buy an Apple Keyboard, then Apple mouse however. And I like those better.

Something to note about the Mini (and all current Macs) is that they do *not* have PS2 connections for input devices. In english, this means that if your Dell keyboard and/or mouse have the round plugs on the end of the wires, you won't be able to plug them into the Mini, as it only takes USB stuff.

You have 2 ways of getting around this:
-Buy a PS2 to USB converter, which will cost you about $15-20 to get one that will take the keyboard and mouse and plug it into a single USB on the Mini.

-Buy an Apple Keyboard, which is $29 and has 2 USB connections on it to plug a USB mouse into. My Dell mouse was USB, so I was able to just plug it into the Apple keyboard. I'm not sure about yours, it it's PS2 you'll need a converter or a USB mouse.

Just something to keep in mind. The Monitor will plug right into the Mini if it's DVI. And if it's a VGA connection, the Mini comes with a converter.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

Wow, thanks! Looks like I will have to get a new keyboard and mouse. Sorry, but I don't know what DVI means or if it's a VGA connection, d'oh! How can I tell?
thanks again!:girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
DVI

277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

VGA

vga.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Welcome book grrl!! What part of Southern Ca are you from? If you don't mind me asking..

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone, it really helps! I'm in the Pasadena area..
Peace:girl:

Reaction score
I'll offer up another way to go, but it's a bit more then you wanna spend. Since you have the large monitor already you could go with a laptop, and hook it up to the monitor when your home. Just an idea:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll offer up another way to go, but it's a bit more then you wanna spend. Since you have the large monitor already you could go with a laptop, and hook it up to the monitor when your home. Just an idea:)

A laptop would be nice, but also way out of her price range

OP
B
Reaction score
I did it!

I went ahead and ordered my mini - - 80GB, and 1GB, new mouse and board, went $31 over my budget which is cool. Yay! Thanks for your help everyone;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Congrats for your purchase!! Let us know how happy you are with your new toy.

Oh, and share some pictures of your setup, if you don't mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice!! You won't care about that extra $31 once you start using it since you'll be so happy with it :p

OP
B
Reaction score
The shipment should come today, YES!! I wonder if it will be easy switching my Earthlink acct. over to new comp. I'll figure it out....some day I need to get a digital camera and scanner too. It never ends!
Thanks for the support!:girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
Yay Book Grrl. Im happy for you ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.