Not receiving email notifications to subscribed threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I, too, have gotten email notifications of a change to a thread while I was entering a post for that very thread. Just like Ian. I don't think the problem is necessarily with vbulletin, or the site. I think there is something between Patrick and the website that is the cause. The tricky part is to figure out what that is. Could it be related to the fact he's pretty far back in OS releases? Something incompatible in his system or browser?

krs

Reaction score
Getting back to an earlier question I posted - is there no way for the admin or mods to check if the notification email to Patrick was actually sent out by the forum software?
That would at least limit the area where the potential problem might be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The master data base show his profile and preferences to be normal. We will keep trying to find out if there is something about his access that is causing the non email notifications.

Thanks Charlie, that would certainly be appreciated.

I will mention that I had not changed anything on my iMac when I noticed the lack of Mac-forums email notices well over a week ago now.

And to Rod,
Patrick, obviously I know what a pain this can be as I started this thread but have you tried, I know this is a long shot, resetting all the fields in Subscription Settings and re entering them?
Thanks for the suggestion Rod, but actually I did that a day or so ago. I set them to opposite what they should be and saved the settings, then when back and changed them to what they should be and save those settings.
Go to settings are still showing as they should be and were previously.

One thing I did notice in the list of subscriptions is the notification box is not checked. I don't know if it's supposed to be or not but changing them to check didn't seem to make any difference and then when I went back to look at them again they were all unchecked.

I'll try and grab a screenshot and post it here in a bit.

- Patrick

Like this:
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 11.40.55 AM.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting back to an earlier question I posted - is there no way for the admin or mods to check if the notification email to Patrick was actually sent out by the forum software?
That would at least limit the area where the potential problem might be.

I've reviewed our master settings several times to make sure that everything was setup correctly. Also, about not getting notified if you're already on the site, that particular setting has been removed from the latest updates to vBulletin and no longer applies. According to the master setting, an email will be sent regardless if you're present on the site or not.

To answer your question about verifying if an email was sent to Patrick, I can not find anything that tells me one way or another. We probably will need to have the person who has been assisting us with vBulletin to look into it.

Our other Admin (Dennis) has more experience with vBulletin than I have and we will ask him also to look into it.

In the meantime @Patrick, you'll just have to check more often to see if a thread you're subscribed to has replies. I know it's an inconvenience, but for now I know of no other way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick, none of those boxes are checked on my system, so it's not necessary to do that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick:

Checking off that box is optional, but as Jake has stated it should not make a difference. You can certainly try it to see if it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In the meantime @Patrick, you'll just have to check more often to see if a thread you're subscribed to has replies. I know it's an inconvenience, but for now I know of no other way.

That's what I've had to been doing Charlie, but a bit of a inconvenient PITA method.

BTW: Let me know if you can think of anything else I can try at my end to maybe fix the problem. I don't imagine you are black or grey listed with my ISP (shaw.ca)???

Is there some way I can check that???

I also wonder if pine man got his lack of subscription email notification sorted out or fixed as per his recent #13 post???

I guess I could always try sending him PM, but I'm not sure if that's working or not if the other notification email it's still not working.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: Let me know if you can think of anything else I can try at my end to maybe fix the problem. I don't imagine you are black or grey listed with my ISP (shaw.ca)???

If we were somehow on your ISP grey or black list, then you likely would never get an email from our address. I suppose it could be possible due to the problems the old regime had with security when they owned the site, but I really don't know how you could check that. If you call your ISP and ask, they may shrug you off. Whenever I call my ISP I usually have a long wait until I get someone on the line. And when you tell them you have a Mac, they immediately go into "excuse" mode.

krs

Reaction score
- Patrick
======

What I would do is create another email address at one of the free web based email providers.
I use mail.com (not gmail) for that since they don't seem to block anything.
Then change the email address in mac-forums.com and see if you get notification at that new address.
That at least would narrow down the area where the problem might be.

krs

Reaction score
And when you tell them you have a Mac, they immediately go into "excuse" mode.

Ha, ha - I know exactly what you mean.
I had the same problem with my ISP until about three years ago - then they hired a new tech support person who not only used a Mac himself but knew the Mac and all the set ups related to ISP connectivity inside out.
So now if there is a problem that might be ISP related, I always ask for him.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are at least 2 ways to subscribe to a thread.

Option 1: Someone goes to the top of a page of a thread...clicks on "Thread Tools"...then selects "Subscribe to this thread":

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 4.10.52 PM.png

Once this is done...the member is presented with the following:

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 4.14.48 PM.png

Now the member clicks on the "Notification Type" drop down menu...and chooses they type of notifications they prefer:

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 4.15.11 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Option 2: Scroll down to near the bottom of the page/thread...and click on the "Go Advanced" button:

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 4.38.02 PM.png

Once this is done the member is presented with the following:

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 4.47.01 PM.png

Now the member clicks the box labeled "Subscribe to this thread..."...and chooses a notification method:

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 4.50.05 PM.png

Using option #1 or option #2...the member should be properly subscribed to a thread. If the member is not receiving the desired thread notifications...the issue very possibly is on the member's end...not with the forum or forum software.

Thanks,

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Is this Option #3: Subscribe in "General Settings"?
That's what I did

mac-forum subscription.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this Option #3: Subscribe in "General Settings"?
That's what I did

I believe this setting only defines how thread subscription notifications are sent to the member. The member still needs to individually subscribe to each thread they are interested in receiving notifications from.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 5.31.30 PM.png

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I don't think so. I've never subscribed to a thread, but get emails when threads into which I have posted.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the most important thing. I just started subscribing to this thread...and I received my email notification instantly (same time as MacInWin/Jake posted his latest thread reply).

Everything is working as it should.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I don't think so. I've never subscribed to a thread, but get emails when threads into which I have posted.

You're right Jake. I had mine set to "Do not subscribe". I reply to so many threads...my mail box would be full of Mac-Forums thread subscription emails. Lol

- Nick

krs

Reaction score

Same here.
And if I look under Settings, all the threads are there and I didn't individually subscribe to any of them either

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I never subscribe to threads, that’s why I only use the “New Posts” section. Then I can read the threads I replied to first. But I come here very often throughout the day.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The staff does not ordinarily subscribe to threads simply because we have to read every thread and like Bob stated above, check often. But we do understand that some of you are busy with other things and prefer being notified by mail.

That's why we have to rely on you to tell us when something is not working right. Patrick's situation is unusual as it seems all the settings for his profile are correct. But like Avis, we will try harder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.