Reaction score
Evening - Looking for some guidance...

I need to update the OS on my iMac, in order for me to use the latest Adobe Lightroom and other programs etc.

I have download the new OS (Mac OS Monterey), and when I tried to Install it I was shown greeted with a message stating 'This Volume is Not Formatted as APFS'.

I work from an external 1TB SSD, and the iMac boots from that drive so I need to make sure the downloaded OS can be put on to that SSD.

Am I going to have to format (and delete) everything on the current SSD to reformat to APFS? If so would I have to back up the whole of the drive including folders such as Applications, Library, System, User Info, and Users?

Bit of a novice when it comes to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Neil

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When APFS was introduced, installing macOS on the internal drive automatically formatted the drive from HFS to APFS without causing any loss of data. It looks like that isn't the case with external drives.

I don't run my Mac off an external drive, so I can't tell you precisely, but please be careful with the drive since formatting it will likely lead to data loss.

Curiously, why aren't you using your internal drive to boot macOS?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Yes - I'm being careful. I'm not going to do anything until I know what to the best way to do it is. I also have the drive already backed up to Backblaze.

I am a photographer and find it a lot quicker using my external SSD for editing purposes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes - I'm being careful. I'm not going to do anything until I know what to the best way to do it is. I also have the drive already backed up to Backblaze.
Recovering your data from Backblaze will be slow and may in fact take several days even if you request they send you your data on a hard drive.

We recommend you backup your data locally to another drive prior to installing Monterey and reformatting the external drive to APFS.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! are ideal for cloning all your data from the external SSD to another spare drive before formatting the 1TB SSD. Once Monterey has been installed on the external 1TB SSD and it has been reformatted to APFS you can clone your data back from the spare drive and you should be good to go.

OP
N
Reaction score
Recovering your data from Backblaze will be slow and may in fact take several days even if you request they send you your data on a hard drive.

We recommend you backup your data locally to another drive prior to installing Monterey and reformatting the external drive to APFS.

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! are ideal for cloning all your data from the external SSD to another spare drive before formatting the 1TB SSD. Once Monterey has been installed on the external 1TB SSD and it has been reformatted to APFS you can clone your data back from the spare drive and you should be good to go.
Yes I had planned on doing a local backup - Backblaze is just an additional measure I take as I'm a Wedding Photographer.

Would I install Monterey on the 1TB SSD before I clone the spare drive or after? As if I cloned the spare drive the 1TB SSD would copy that like for like...meaning there would be no Monterey on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Would I install Monterey on the 1TB SSD before I clone the spare drive or after? As if I cloned the spare drive the 1TB SSD would copy that like for like...meaning there would be no Monterey on it?
Also, when I format the 1TB SSD to APFS, is it going to be bootable?!
Not sure what drive you are calling the "spare drive," but from what I have read, I think you have an external drive now with your data and from which you boot, currently running macOS version X (I didn't see where you ever said what that was). And you now have another eternal drive onto which you want to install Monterey, then move your files over to it to make it the boot drive.

If that is what you want to do, and assuming your current version of macOS supports APFS, you can run Disk Utility and partition/format the new external to APFS and use the GUID partition scheme to make it capable of being the boot drive. Then run the installer you downloaded and point it to the newly formatted drive as the destination to install.

If your current version of macOS doesn't support APFS, you will have to do an Internet Recovery to get to the Recovery system and format the new SSD from there, then do the installation to the new drive from there as well. About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers tells you how to do that. Hopefully, your version of macOS is new enough to understand APFS. If you have to use this method, I would suggest you detach your current boot drive from the Mac before trying internet recover, just as an insurance that you don't format/install to the wrong drive. You'll be booted from the Internet, so both drives would be able to be written to at that point, and a mistake could lose all of your data.

Once installation is done, reboot holding down the Option key and select the new system as the boot drive. It should then run through the "Welcome" routine. You can create a user at the point it is offered to you but make sure the user is exactly the same as you have now and that the password is exactly the same as well. There is a reason for that, so be sure. One thing to look for in that initialization sequence is to really READ the screens. Apple's defaults may not be what you want or need. For example, Apple defaults to FileVault turned ON, when most of us believe that is not needed and makes some things more complicated. So, if you don't want FV ON, make sure to un-check it when it is presented to you.

Once initialization is complete, you can use Migration Assistant to migrate all of your apps/files from the original external drive to the new one. Because the account names and passwords on both drives are the same, the data should migrate into your new account just as they are on the old. Once the migration is complete, you can test the new system to make sure all is working, then set the boot drive to be the new system and you are done. I would put the old SSD on a shelf somewhere as an emergency backup just in case something goes wonky in the first few weeks. Once you are comfortable with the new system and it's all working well for you, you can do with it what you want, maybe reformat and attach as a second storage device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.