• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Nosy parents-how to get around them

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and in need of some advice. My parents, to my surprise, found a way to look at my search results(not through my computer). I need to find a way to get around this, I suspect it's through the router, or the modem, or even the company(yes, they're that nosy). I created a guest network an have been using it but it didn't change the ip address..

We have a airport extreme with a uBee modem. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

I've moved your post to the Lounge, since your question could be answered bother on a technical and non-technical means..

The technical means depend on what level of access you have to your environment. It sounds like you're freely changing settings on your router and so on, so that might be on avenue..

On the non-technical front, depending on your age, there might be other things you can do to alleviate your parents concerns. In this day and age, most of us spend a lot of time online and parents want to make sure that you aren't getting into trouble. It's amazing how a chat about Internet safety would do. It'll show that you are mature enough to understand and use the technology and also you can be open about what you DO on the Internet so they wouldn't have to sneak around to find out..

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Yes I have free access to the router, I am just not sure which route to take..

As for talking with my parents about internet safety, I am 21 years old, there 'snooping' is strictly to get their nose in my buisness.

Oh did i mention they also have access to what I am searching on my verizon iphone?? Figure they would need a warrant right?

Nope, corrupt employee...welcome to my world :Not-Amused:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
With regard to your Verizon issue one question occurs to me: Is the account being "snooped" one that you are paying for? If so, I would suggest taking that part of the equation up with the company. Start with that employee's manager/supervisor if you are certain you know the name of the employee.

I am not sure what the applicable rules would be if your parents are paying the bill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even better take it up with your parents and find out what level of trust you earnt/lost. You may lose all access if you interfere with the router if your parents are paying for the service.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My advice: You're old enough to drink, so you're old enough to put your own roof over your head. Move out and get your own ISP. That will render this concern entirely moot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My advice: You're old enough to drink, so you're old enough to put your own roof over your head. Move out and get your own ISP. That will render this concern entirely moot.

Wow! You read my mind. The OP might be 21 but I bet the parents are paying the internet and cellphone bill if they have access to it.

Best way to stop the snooping is to pay for your own service in your name only.

My youngest moved out when he was 29. He was the only one we had to deal with concerning the internet or cellphone. He had no problem with me checking his browsing history or anything on his phone. We were paying for his service, I made that clear and he agreed. Now he has his own home and pays his own bills although he still wouldn't care if Mom would want to check out his browsing history which means he has nothing he is worried I won't approve of.

Lisa

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Thank you for your response. Yes I have free access to the router, I am just not sure which route to take..

As for talking with my parents about internet safety, I am 21 years old, there 'snooping' is strictly to get their nose in my buisness.

Oh did i mention they also have access to what I am searching on my verizon iphone?? Figure they would need a warrant right?

Nope, corrupt employee...welcome to my world :Not-Amused:

The solution to your problem is not technical, it is pure people/social relationship.

The answer to the ' problem ' is ....... communicate, communicate and communicate even more. ( With your parents of course :) )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a relative of mine had on his refrigerator to 'help' his sons:-

'Move out now and set up on your own whilst you still know everything!'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

Wow! You read my mind. The OP might be 21 but I bet the parents are paying the internet and cellphone bill if they have access to it.

Read my mind as well..

@OP, Your 21 and its time you did move out. If they are paying for any of your services, then they have more rights over the accounts then you do. Although my parents never snooped into my internet or phone usage(not cell phone, plus I paid for everything of mine), there comes a time in everyones life when they must move on. I joined the military when I was 21. Moved away, seen many places, bought an actual NEW new car and got my first cell phone. This was great as it gave me the small steps to moving out, without being kicked out on my rear end. I suggest the same for the OP..

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
I wish moving out was an option; however, with nursing school around the corner I just don't see it as a viable choice..

But yes, I will as soon as I can!

Thanks for the reply's!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In life papagonz we have to conform at times to others' expectations. Do what your parents want and not rock the boat. They will be your parents for life so keep relations harmonious.

Nurse training will not take that long, but at your age what? ~ four years seems a lifetime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.