• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

non-fungible token (NFT)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ok, Murray is supposedly got at least one of these non-fungible tokens (NFT) on his shirt at Wimbledon.

I have read the Wiki explanation and am still non the wiser. So can anyone please explain what they are in single syllable words and in English please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As far as I know, they are scams. Kind of like Pet Rocks, or Cabbage Patch Dolls, something with no intrinsic value that people are willing to spend fabulous amounts of money on and end up with nothing. Hence "non-fungible." Definition of fungible: "(especially of goods) being of such nature or kind as to be freely exchangeable or replaceable, in whole or in part, for another of like nature or kind." So basically, non-fungible means it cannot be exchanged for anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey... let's not bad mouth Cabbage Patch dolls. I went thru a lot of trouble to get my daughter one back in the days when they were popular. Had a friend stationed in Korea that sent me one. :)

By the way this one costs $390.00 on Amazon!

Maybe John would like to buy a couple of them for his favorite girls. LOL

il_1588xN.2655910887_dkhw.jpg

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Favourite girlS Chas ! Are you trying to get me into trouble mate.

There is only one girl in my life and SWMBO has told me so !

And before any questions as to just who wears the trousers in our house. She gave me permission to tell everyone that I (ME) do. OK?

Ta for the explanation Jake. I had an idea that they were just another con, but what the h e l l does this mean?

"Non-fungible tokens, known as NFTs, are crypto assets which record ownership of a digital item, such as an image, video or text, on blockchain.

While anyone can view or download the asset in question, only the buyer can claim the status of being its official owner."

Blockchain ??? It's gobildigook gone mad to me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Blockchain is a relatively new (2008) computational process that provides security for financial (and other) transactions. How it all works is a bit beyond me, but this is the first paragraph on it at Wikipedia:
A blockchain is a growing list of records, called blocks, that are linked together using cryptography. Each block contains a cryptographic hash of the previous block, a timestamp, and transaction data (generally represented as a Merkle tree). The timestamp proves that the transaction data existed when the block was published in order to get into its hash. As blocks each contain information about the block previous to it, they form a chain, with each additional block reinforcing the ones before it. Therefore, blockchains are resistant to modification of their data because once recorded, the data in any given block cannot be altered retroactively without altering all subsequent blocks.
Basically, each block in the chain has the hash of the previous, such that no block can be changed without every block having to be adjusted all the way back to the origin. It was originally for crypto currency, to assure the true value of a bitcoin was not tampered with by anyone who had held it. The data is spread by peer-to-peer networks, so there is no single point at which a bad actor can amend the data and not have it noticed. In terms of asset management, rather than bitcoin, a business can track product from source to destination securely. So a coffee company can buy coffee from a grower, track that coffee from the grower to the shipper to the importer to the roaster to the packager and know, beyond reasonable doubt, that the beans in THIS bag came from THAT farmer. The value of such traceability may not be there for coffee, but for other vegetables that may have a risk of contamination, for example lettuce and spinach, the product can be traced from field to market, such that if there is a contamination, every leaf of that contaminated field can be found and identified accurately.

Imagine a public ledger that is copied into every accountant every time a transaction is posted. If anybody tries to change an entry later on to defraud anybody, that person would have to get to every copy of the ledger everywhere. Now, if each page has a hash calculated from all of the transactions on each page, based on the hash of the previous page and what transactions are posted in what order on the next, the hash will be wrong as soon as the change is made, and won't match the hash on any of the other ledgers. Basically, that's the simplest way to see it.

You can read more on Wikipedia: Blockchain - Wikipedia

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Joke, thank you for that explanation. Detailed, single sillyballs and in English so that even I can get a grip on it :))

The 'hash' sounds very much like what I always knew as the check sum. If I remember correctly it's what I used to look at in any disk problems on the IBM mainframes I used to try to look after?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.