noise virus or noise malware infection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
Hello Mac users. I've just contracted some kind of malware or virus that causes a kind of human wailing noise to begin especially when I am using hotmail. It launches at the same time some Arabic advertising and will sometimes imbed the advertising in the hotmail page when I am trying to write an email. Closing the single window that started the wailing will stop it. I downloaded TDSSKiller but it won't execute, even after changing the name. I am using Google Chrome and the wailing sound will begin on maybe every 4th or 5th window I open. Sounds like a guy yelling and then many people behind him yelling like at a soccer game over and over again. Any help would be appreciated. I am not really software savvy but neither a novice.

Have looked at the bottom dock and nothing else is running. If I turn the sound right down and go back to that page 10 min later the noise has stopped. What enjoyment do people get out of this sort of malicious use of their time?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
Seems to have worked so far. You are a life saver. Thx;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Do you have a window open by any chance?

In my defence, I did wait for a serious answer to be given first ... ;D

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
Do you have a window open by any chance?

In my defence, I did wait for a serious answer to be given first ... ;D

I always had a Google Chrome window open. Closing that window would kill the noise until the next time, however the fix give by the friend above has cleaned the malware for the time being.

Reaction score
Interesting comment on the Safe Mac website, i.e. the ad removal program has been discontinued w/ a link to Adware Medic - anyone w/ experience using this 'free' alternative? Dave :)

I tried it the other day. Of course it came up with nothing here.
I think he just gave up on the script and is using a compiled app instead.

Edit: He says the app can do things the script cant. Don't know, not a programmer myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I tried it the other day. Of course it came up with nothing here.
I think he just gave up on the script and is using a compiled app instead.

Edit: He says the app can do things the script cant. Don't know, not a programmer myself.

Hi Craig - yep, after posting, same guy so you're correct - I ran the app and nothing was found - will be interested in the experiences of others - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Adware Medic does ask to be connected to the 'net in order to download the latest threat definitions.

Interestingly guys on the initial run it advised of three Google Chrome malware items which were removed. The interesting part is I have never installed Chrome, nor downloaded it. So I for one do not know if it great or snake oil.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just ran it Harry and it said no ad ware found. And I'm using Chrome to access our forums right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I always had a Google Chrome window open. Closing that window would kill the noise until the next time, however the fix give by the friend above has cleaned the malware for the time being.

I'm sorry dear chap, it was meant to be a light-hearted joke, seeing as your location is Dubai and you might hear their call to prayer through an open window ... English humour ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.