Noise emission

Reaction score
Does a solid state drive powered imac differ from a regular hard drive with regards to operating noise?

How does the i7 compare to the i5?

Guiding question is: Which imac runs most quietly?

THX

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
SSDs have no moving parts - so they really don't make any noise whatsoever - at least none that you'll be able to hear. You'll still have the CPU fans running in either machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. Well, I'm aware that the SSDs don't have any moving part but what about cooling them? Isn't the cooling what generates the most noise in the end?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Cooling generates noise in other places - most notably the processors, but there's no additional cooling installed with an SSD. The only trade off is the noise of the spinning platters vs the zero noise of the SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I put an SSD into my older iMac and it is now dead silent.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"Dead Silent" is going to be relative to what you're currently doing on the computer, amount of background noise in the area and possibly dependent on how many years you've been listening to rock and roll playing at 120db. ;D

The fans are going to start ramping up while watching flash, playing games, doing any sort of encoding, etc., count on it.

OP
T
Reaction score
"Dead Silent" is going to be relative to what you're currently doing on the computer, amount of background noise in the area and possibly dependent on how many years you've been listening to rock and roll playing at 120db. ;D

The fans are going to start ramping up while watching flash, playing games, doing any sort of encoding, etc., count on it.

haha, no heavy tinitus so far...

Okay here is the thing: I want to use the mac for a home recording studio. I just have one room, so it is going to be in the recording room! Therefore I wonder which configuration will produce the least noise (when recording something while running logic pro).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Go with SSD. My comment to my wife after I installed it was that it would make a good HTPC. Not that it was loud with the original hard drive, but now you just don't hear it. The fans are pretty quiet in this to begin with. The thing about fans vs. hard drive noise is that fans are a steady whirring, where hard drives tend to make a chattering noise.

It drives me crazy that my cable box has a hard drive in it that is chattering away all day and night, and that's right between my floor-standing speakers and tube stereo gear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.