No Wifi - help!

Reaction score
Hi - new to this forum and in fact new to Macbooks/ MacOS. ...and not entirely sure if this should be here or in the Software Forum
After years of work requiring adherence to Windows, I am retired and wanted to experiment with MacOS. Bought an early-2015 Macboook that needed quite a bit of work - but I enjoy a challenge. Replaced the keyboard (base unit), SSD and battery and updated to Big Sur and all seemed fine until the WiFi became flakey and then just died on me. Tried all the resetting advice online PRAM/ SRC but no dice. Booted into Safe Mode - no difference. Replaced the WiFi card but that made no difference. Antenna seems fine as well. I even put the old SSD back in with Mojave and that didn't work. Makes me think its hardware

So...having to use Ethernet, which works but is obviously not ideal. Any suggestions?

I have attached screen shots of what I get from settings etc

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.15.30.png

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.15.45.png

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.16.01.png

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.16.10.png

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.18.17.png

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 11.18.34.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Was this a known issue when you purchased the MBP?

Since the wi-fi is not showing in the System Information panel, I have a feeling it may not be properly inserted, or the port on the board is bad. Does the Bluetooth work or show in System Information? Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on the same card.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply ferrar. No, it was working fine when I bought it. It seemed to only start being a problem after my upgrade work and Big Sur. The bluetooth was also not working so i replaced the Airport card with one I bought on ebay. Bluetooth then worked, but not WiFi. That makes me thing the card is registering but I don't understand what is wrong with the Wifi. I have since taken it out and back in again but still nothing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Much appreciated. I’ll have a look. If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to look at a USB WiFi adapter - if only there was one that worked with big sur! Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Are you at the latest version of Big Sur? I seem to recall one of the updates addresses some issues with WiFi. The latest is now 11.2.2

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi - yes I have updated to the latest.
Ferrarr's suggestion didn't work as Big Sur blocks the process of writing to the disk and the warnings about the 'workaround' almost certainly crashing my OS put me off taking it further.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could have gotten a bad WiFi card. Most if not all Mac parts found on eBay are cannibalized from non working Macs. It's a good way to buy parts for older Macs but there is always the chance that you receive a dud.

Try another WiFi card if at all possible.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks chscag, I had begun to wonder about the replacement card I bought. More so that the replacement one the Bluetooth is working but not the WiFi. Will see about a replacement one, thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi chscag - replacement tried but just the same. In the absence of any other options, is it likely to be a Logic Board fault?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Unless you have another identical MacBook to test the cards on? Then yes I would assume it is the logic board.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks ferarr, feared as much. Not worth further investment in a new logic board so I will have to consider a USB adapter. I know that this is a challenge currently with Big Sur, so if you know of one thats good quality and can work, that would be appreciated?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.