No way to disable "backup over cellular"

Reaction score
In the settings, under iCloud, I should be seeing two options: "Back up this phone" and "Back up over cellular."

The problem is that there is no "Back up over cellular" option on my phone, and as a result I cannot turn it off.

iPhone 11
iOS 16.6

Attachments

• IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What are your cellular settings? They might be connected. And while you are at it, what is your cell provider?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's my understanding that you would need to be using a 5G enabled iPhone model for the option to Backup using Cellular Data to appear.

So perhaps, your iPhone, like mine, will only backup over WiFi. I find this happens when connected to WiFi on my charger o/night.

If/when you have a 5G capable iPhone you will find a menu in Settings called "Data Mode", this is explained more fully in this link. Use 5G with your iPhone

I only have an iPhone SE 2 so although I'm running iOS 16.6 4G is as high as I can go and the menu described in the link above does not appear.

Bottom line is you don't have to turn the option off because the default is WiFi unless 5G is available to you and even then you have to turn it on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.