No Time Machine in Yosemite

Reaction score
I have just discovered when I tried to restore a file that my Time Machine is not showing any backups. It was working fine until I upgraded to Yosemite. I have a 2012 iMac. Any advice most welcome.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you be more specific? Is it opening at all or is it just not showing anything going back in time?

Aesthetically, the new version can be a bit confusing. The notches on the right hand side are red (signalling something bad) despite the existence of perfect backups in time. Might you have just seen this?

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? Is it opening at all or is it just not showing anything going back in time?

Aesthetically, the new version can be a bit confusing. The notches on the right hand side are red (signalling something bad) despite the existence of perfect backups in time. Might you have just seen this?

Thanks for your prompt response. I can enter time machine in the normal manner but I cannot go back in time. There are no backups showing. The only finder tab is the current time and date.:| If I manually select backup the time machine drive shows activity.

M

MacInWin

Give it some time. I found that under Yosemite, TM needed time to scan the backup and display the timeline properly. As I recall, it was two or three days before it got sorted.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Give it some time. I found that under Yosemite, TM needed time to scan the backup and display the timeline properly. As I recall, it was two or three days before it got sorted.

Thanks! :) I'll give that a try overnight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Macintosh HD ATI Radeon HD 5670
I have had a similar problem but it appears all of my backups on the external HDD have been deleted.
I upgraded to Yosemite about 4 days ago, on an iMac.
I can enter TM and on the RHS it showed dates going back about 4 years. When the backup started it shows "Preparing Backup" then says backup failed because of not enough space. I had about 22gig left on a 500gig drive.
Problem is, it deleted all of the old backups and only shows the one in progress. I tried to "Delete all files in MOVIES" but nothing happened.
I know TM deletes old backups to make space, but if there is more than 500gig required which I suspect, then why would it not undelete the backups after figuring out there is not enough space available.
Am I now stuck with no backups whatsoever? Is this build in "enhancement"?
Many Thanks,

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It can't appear as if all your backups have been deleted and at the same time show dates going back 4 years and 22 GB free out of 500.

I would suspect TM is trying to create a new backup rather than adding to the existing backup.
It will not delete old backups it sees as belonging to one computer to make room for a backup of another computer.

"Assuming" you have everything on your computer you want on it with no reason for having multiple years worth of backups - I'd recommend a new format of the external drive and start TM over again with a fresh backup. I erase and do fresh TM backups about once a year due to the size of my TM backups.

There's not anywhere near enough info to deal with "I tried to delete all files in movies but nothing happened".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Macintosh HD ATI Radeon HD 5670
Ahhh. Yep you are correct. Can't have both.
Before Yosemite was loaded I saw backups going back 4 years. After the first try at backing up after Yosemite was loaded, all backups were deleted.
Took your advice and reformatted and started over again.
Thanks,
RK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.