"No output devices found" ?

Reaction score
I can't select anything in my audio midi setup in the utilites folder...it's empty and just says "No Devices Found on System"...I cant select the IAC driver. There's nothing there...I guess i just have to get it repaired then?

You are in the wrong window. You are in the Audio window. The same happened to me the first time I opened the MIDI utility.

You have to click Window > Show MIDI window.

Reaction score
Step One: Open Applications.
Step Two: Find Utilities folder and open.
Step Three: Find the Audio MIDI Setup icon and open.
Step Four: Under Audio Devices will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Five: If the word BUS is in this box select and remove.
Step Six: Make sure that the “Device is online” is checked. Your IAC Driver Icon should be all red.
FINALLY RESTART.

I think I ve procedeed through all the steps but still no sound. Please have a look at this screenshot:

I have a MacBook Air running Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Hi I have the same problem I plugin the iPhone's headphones in my Macbook after remove it, the red light appaer and the internal speakers never works again, and also no devices found, just the digital output,

I tried the trick with the toothstick and never works.

Please help me!!!

Reaction score
lost sound after upgrade

No output (or input) devices found in my sound preferences panel. Not greyed out. They don't exist. Nothing is in the list.

Toothpick doesn't work. Haven't tried a headset.

Permissions fix and restart doesn't work.

I bought this mac new in April 2010. I re-installed yesterday a 10.5.something disk and now I'm not sure that was what came with this puppy (I'm not that organized). Anyway, I'm up to 10.5.8 and the most recent is over 10.6.

What happened to my sound????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No Mac had 10.5 that shipped as new in April 2010. Where are your original discs and where did you get this 10.5 disc? Why are you re-installing? What Mac do you have?

You'll likely not get the sound working without re-installing 10.6 that shipped with your machine at this point. If the sound card changed, 10.5 will not have the drivers for your hardware.

Reaction score
problem solved

Hi, my first generation air meet the same problem these days. It out of warranty,our local apple store will charge 120usd just for checking. I can not afford it. I reinstall the system, still no sound.

At last I solved the problem by just screw the back and clean the inside.

My suggestion is open and clean the dust before send it to apple store or replace the parts. I only spent 1.5usd bought a good crew driver.

Best regards from Beijing China,
Mawen

Reaction score

30minutes after cleaning work, it no sound again, problem solved finally by change sound flex cable.

regards,
mawen

Reaction score
No sound/audio output MacBook Air

After trying every solution on the net and being able to fix it once I know it was not a hardware problem. Some thing someone started with in one discussion lead me to look into the MIDI Setup. I have reboot my MBA several times and it has worked every time I think this may be the fix.

Step Four: Under Audio Devices will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Five: If the word BUS is in this box select and remove.
Step Six: Make sure that the “Device is online” is checked. Your IAC Driver Icon should be all red.
FINALLY RESTART. Your sound should be working now.

Please let me know if it works for you.

I tried this fix and I got stuck on Step 4, since the IAC drive does not appear in the audio MIDI setup area. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Had the same issue, but when i tried to reboot whilst holding "d" i got the startup bong and audio has been working fine for the last 30 mins.. i have put my mac to sleep and woken up and all works, i haven't tried to restart as yet though..

Reaction score
Restart with D Key Success

I had the same problem with my first gen Macbook Air. I used MGMDESIGN's midi fix twice with a re-boot, but to no avail. I then did it one last time and re-started holding down the D key. I got the start-up chime and all sound seems to be fine now. Thank you all very much for your input in this forum! I was about ready to pack this old box off the Apple store. Thanks again! :)

Reaction score
Hi,

I had this exact problem about a year ago and tried all the safe boot/pram reset/os reinstall with NO LUCK...I ended up replacing the audio cable with help from ifixit.com

Fast forward to yesterday when it happened again!:Shouting:

This time I tried all the reset measures and the MIDI reset and the headphone trick again to no avail....so I tried just unscrewing the back case and detaching and reattaching the audio cable (not getting a new one) and voila...it WORKED!!

So before you go to the apple store and have them charge you $300 for this audio cable fix just go to ifixit.com and look up the instructions on how to change the audio cable for the MBA , but i didn't change it (this time) just detach/reattached especially step 7 the"audio-out connector board"...

Reaction score
Big thanks to MGMDESIGN for solving the problem for me.
i tried everything to try fix my 'no output device found' problem.
reinstalled twice even

in the end his technique worked for me
i've edited it a bit to make it easier to do it correctly

Step Four: on the MIDI page there will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Five: double click on the IAC Drive, If the word BUS is in this box select and remove.
FINALLY RESTART.

I really hope this fixes the problem for others as it's immensely frustrating!

Good luck

Reaction score
MacBook Air sound issue - no output devices found

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I am so use to being attacked in other forums (mainly for being a macophile) that I get my hackles up to easily. So I apologize for my bad.:Oops::Oops::Blushing:

I have to say a thank you for your solution. It did work, for about 2 minutes, which means that it's a good one, but something else might be going on with my Mac.

Do you have any suggestion/idea on how to rectify this? I was extremely excited when the fix worked initially, and given that it did work at first, I'm guessing that there may be a corrupt file or something similar that stopped the solution working.

Out of interest, when I did the Audio Midi change s suggested, although I could delete the bus, and check the device online box, I had to close the app. The "Apply" option was grayed out and not available? Could this explain the temporary nature of the change?

Best wishes!!

Reaction score
Have the problem as well

Have the same problem, followed the steps, still no sound. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Have the same problem, followed the steps, still no sound. Any suggestions?

I bought a USB sound card for £2 on Ebay, and it works. An internal cable would cost £60 to repair, and I guess that I'll do that at some point soon.

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Macbook Air that had this problem and I fixed it by doing the following:

Search Google for UA-25EX drivers. This is an audio interface that I own from Edirol (Oddly enough this worked without even plugging in my interface)

Install this driver and restart your Mac

BOOM!

Works! ;-)

For some odd reason I believe this issue happened after upgrading my Macbook to El Capitan. I do technical support and I'm also a developer and I'm betting this is a software issue. I tried everything from reloading the Kext files to removing pref files and PRAM. This seemed to do the trick even without plugging in my interface.

Let me know if this helps anyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.