No More Mavericks? Why so soon?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Big surprise to me. My son rang me this morning to ask if he could use my Apple ID to download Mavericks onto his computer. "Why don't you just download it yourself?" I asked. "Because it's no longer available on the app store." He replied. I was incredulous, since when does Apple remove the previous OS when the current one is still in it's first release version? Given that Yosemite is such a departure from Mavericks I can well understand why people would be cautious about updating so why remove the option so soon?
Is there any legitimate way for him to download Mavericks?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has been doing that since after Snow Leopard. From Lion on to the present, only if you previously purchased it and/or downloaded the free version with your Apple ID will it be available for download in your "purchased" items.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Apple has been doing that since after Snow Leopard. From Lion on to the present, only if you previously purchased it and/or downloaded the free version with your Apple ID will it be available for download in your "purchased" items.

You know I suppose I never realised that because I always download each new OS version but we live and learn.
Interestingly I had a copy of the Mavericks installer on my MBP for testing purposes and yesterday I opened it to install on an external HD and received a message to say it was "too old" to use and my machine was running I0.10 anyway.
Anyway I told my son that doing what he proposed was probably going to cause all sorts of problems for himself and me especially since I now have two step verification.
His problem is a simple one, he is a teacher in sound editing but correcting his students' end of year projects is proving to be a problem because he is running Snow Leopard and cannot open the files created with the current version of Pro Tools.
He planned to load Mavericks just for correction purposes then reinstall Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
And here I thought it was just me!!

I was trying to do that same task today... and in my 'purchase' folder is the download link for Mavs... so as the thing mysteriously had disappeared from where I had it saved, I went to download it again. 2 times it quit before the download was finished. And... after the first try, I noticed the 'download' button had changed to 'downloaded' but the download was nowhere in sight. Finally found it after some searching....
BUT, I do find it strange that it isn't anywhere to be found at Apple.com.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is a pain in the butt when Apple does this.

- Happened with Lion when Mountain Lion was released.
- Happened with Mountain Lion when Mavericks was released.
- Now it seems to have happened to Mavericks when Yosemite was released.

After a period of time…Lion & Mountain Lion reappeared. The same thing may happen with Mavericks. How long…who knows?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into the App Store Tygrz, hold down Option and hit Purchases and see if Mavericks appears.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you purchased it in the past it will be there. The problem is if you didn't, at least for the moment, it is not available.
So my point is if you don't want an OS designed for retina display or you don't wish to use the added features of Yosemite or you don't want to fork out for upgrades to your applications or you just don't like the look of it why should you have to?
In my sons case he only wanted it temporarily to correct his students end of year assignments. Just bad timing I guess. I found a link to a torrent version and have suggested he run it off an external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
Mavericks was a free update if i remember correctly.... maybe he can go to the local apple store and see if they can/will install it for him...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
Go into the App Store Tygrz, hold down Option and hit Purchases and see if Mavericks appears.

Mavs is in my purchases folder... no problem there. Problem was the 'download' button read 'downloaded' and was grayed out and unclickable. I had moved the install to an external drive, but when I went to go use it the other day, it wasn't there. Weird happenings, here!! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Gheese!! I almost had a heart attack when I read "…no more Mavericks..".

But when I checked using the App Store it was listed for Download which I'm doing now - just in case the previous one I kept goes goofy.

Maybe the Canada Store is different, but at least it was available. Slow but happening and maybe about a hour at the present rate.

PS: The dialog asked if I really wanted to download and it said it would be available via Recovery method. Yeah right, sorry Apple but I've lost all Trust.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pm-r this intriduces a whole new kettle of fish, the differences between Apple App Stores. A friend of mine asked if I could download some Alcoholics Anonymous literature for him.
I am in Indonesia but connected to the Australian app store. When I clicked on the link at AA it performed the usual external protocol request connecting me to my app store and then informed me that item is not available from the Aus app store. Wow, I thought that sort of material would be available world wide. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I noticed that when under Yosemite, that when I installed Yosemite a 2nd time. It removed Yosemite installer and also it removed my Mavericks installer. Pissed me off. almost 5GBs takes a few hours to download here. This time I stuck it on a external HDD for installation later.

I understand Apple wanting to PUSH their OS on everyone. But sometimes there is software compatibility with newer OSs that has to be considered. So if you want to keep you installer, keep it out of the Applications folder or keep a spare copy elsewhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So if you want to keep you installer, keep it out of the Applications folder or keep a spare copy elsewhere.

The key here is to make a copy of the installer and save it elsewhere prior to clicking on install. However, if you use CCC or SuperDuper, you don't have to worry about losing your copy and your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.