No longer possible to manually upgrade RAM in M1 Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And you cannot install an older version of the OS on a machine that came from the factory with a newer one. In addition, the new M1/x systems have an entirely different CPU architecture that is not supported by any OS older than Big Sur, so buying a new one won't let you install Mojave. You could, of course, get a refurb, or a used system that can run Mojave, but not a NEW one.

And even doing that would restrict one to purchasing a 2018 Mac model that was shipped with Mojave MacOS 10.14.x.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
... Apple used to be geared toward a new way of computing without the threat of virus. I feel that, like the whistleblower pointed out about Facebook, Apple has become more concerned about profits. That is the only reason I can think of.

Over many years of helping users with their Macintosh questions and helping them with their problems, often I hear the same things over and over by folks who, to be brutally honest, sound like petulant children.

- Apple is only interested in money

- Apple is going to heck because Steve Jobs is gone

- The loss of X technology shows that Apple isn't interested in their customers

- The loss of X technology or the policy of Y by Apple will surely cause users to leave Apple in droves and spell the end of the company

This is all just nonsense. Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world, and they continue to set records for profits each new quarter. They continue to win awards for consumer satisfaction, and they have the highest customer retention rate in the personal computer industry. They don't have to gouge or cheat their customers, and they don't.

Apple DOES move technology forward regularly. They will ditch old technology and adopt new technology without a second thought. Why? Because Apple's customers expect the latest and greatest. If Apple didn't offer that, then Apple WOULD lose customers. When Apple adapts new technology, it is almost always proven to be the right path, as other manufacturers quickly follow their lead.

I'm afraid that the reality is that personal computing isn't a product area than caters to people with limited funds. Personal computers are an expensive business tool, and a recreational tool for those who can afford them. Old software regularly needs to be upgraded or replaced at some expense. Hardware manufacturers will come up with much faster and better hardware, and it will always be expensive. You can try and be frugal with your computer, but if you attempt to be too frugal you will be left behind technologically. That's just the nature of personal computing.

No amount of whining or complaining is going to change the above. Sometimes if you ASK for assistance from your fellow computer users, there are work-arounds to make-do in certain situations. If you want Apple to change the way that they do things...you should know that they don't read this discussion list. Complaining here won't get Apple to change. You can make suggestions here:

I know for a fact that Apple reads all of the feedback that you leave, and in many instances it effects Apple's direction. However they will NEVER respond to the feedback that you leave; that would be too much work and be too expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.