No Internal CD drive with yosemit e

Reaction score
Hi I have an early 2009 imac. My husband downloaded Yosemite since the my Cd rom drive is just gone.
Can't do a clean install with Snow Leapord as I don't have a cd rom.
Can someone tell me how to get my internal drive to show up in Yosemite. PLEASE!!!!:Angry:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can't do a clean install with Snow Leapord as I don't have a cd rom.

Solution: Not 100% sure if you mean that you do not have a Snow Leopard install disk. Or if your iMac's internal CD/DVD drive is not working. If no Snow Leopard install disk…purchase one. If iMac's internal CD/DVD drive is not working…purchase an external CD/DVD drive for $30-$50.

Can someone tell me how to get my internal drive to show up in Yosemite.

I'm not 100% sure what the problem is here (not enough info).

- Do you have Yosemite installed?
- If not…what's is happening?
- What is the ultimate goal?

* Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I have Yosemite installed and want it off my system.
I want to reinstall Snow Leapord from the install disk that I have.
Can't do it because my cd/dvd rom will not show up
Thought about purchasing a cheap external cd rom but not sure what ones will work with yosemite. I thought maybe there was a fix for yosemite to make my internal cd rom show up again.

C

chas_m

I have to advise you that, given the current security situation, it would be incredibly foolish to try and switch back to an unsupported OS version. I'm not sure why your CD/DVD isn't working (or even how you know this to be true -- some details on what you've tried sure would be helpful ...), but if the unit has actually failed, guess what ... it will still be nonfunctional in Snow Leopard (or any other OS version).

For the record, I use my built-in CD/DVD burner in Yosemite on rare occasion, and it works fine, so this is not a "Yosemite" thing.

OP
J
Reaction score
When I go to system profiler is tells me that there is no optical drive
Is there any external hard drives that you could suggest
I have tried disk repair.
Is there a way I can do a clean install with Yosemite?

OP
J
Reaction score
The cd rom worked fine until Yosemite got down loaded.
Used it like two days prior to the download.

C

chas_m

Basically any model of CD/DVD external drive will work fine. The drive failure is probably just coincidence, or perhaps the Yosemite upgrade was flawed in some way (might try a re-install of it). You can re-download the Yosemite Installer and use Diskmaker X to create a bootable USB thumb drive of it to do a "clean install."

Reaction score
I would recommend a clean install yosemite is a totally different monster and a clean install i have found to work better then a upgrade.

Just use time machine to back up your data. And your good to go and on another note. IMac's are easy at cd/dvd drives that self destruct get a external or try the can of compressed air in the cd drive slot trick but make sure the computer is off and don't worry about damaging the cd/dvd rom drive because it doesn't work right now anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.