No external display detected?

Reaction score
Hi, is there please a way to test that your OS is running as should on a Mac Mini M2? I ask as when trying to wake up the Mac from sleep mode I got a message no external display, disconnected/reconnected my cable still nothing, replaced cable with HDMI got same result, switched of the system from power supply button also unplugged from power supply, eventually managed to get the system up again, turned off after updating OS (didn't no there was an update as no system working) tried switching on/off again and all OK but don't no why it happened in first place so would like to check the system/OS.
Thank You, Russ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You could run First Aid, which I think is in Disk Utility. (Not at my Mac right now)

Reaction score
...don't no why it happened in first place so would like to check the system/OS.

The good news is that what you are looking for is built right into the Mac OS. It's called Apple Diagnostics. Here is Apple's Web page that tells you how to run it:

Apple Diagnostics
https://support.apple.com/en-us/102550

We might be able to be more helpful if you told us:
- What model/year Macintosh you have
- What brand and model and size monitor you have
- How your monitor is attached to your Mac (e.g. what output port is the monitor cable attached to, what input port on your monitor is the cable attached to, what sort of adapter (if any) you are using)

If your had your monitor attached originally to your Mac's Thunderbolt 4 port via an adapter cable, did that cable support Thunderbolt, or was it only a USB-C to HDMI cable? The mistake that users often make is to get the latter type of cable and not check that it supports Thunderbolt.

OP
R
Reaction score
The good news is that what you are looking for is built right into the Mac OS. It's called Apple Diagnostics. Here is Apple's Web page that tells you how to run it:

Apple Diagnostics
Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

We might be able to be more helpful if you told us:
- What model/year Macintosh you have
- What brand and model and size monitor you have
- How your monitor is attached to your Mac (e.g. what output port is the monitor cable attached to, what input port on your monitor is the cable attached to, what sort of adapter (if any) you are using)

If your had your monitor attached originally to your Mac's Thunderbolt 4 port via an adapter cable, did that cable support Thunderbolt, or was it only a USB-C to HDMI cable? The mistake that users often make is to get the latter type of cable and not check that it supports Thunderbolt.
Hi, thank you for the reply. Mac Mini M2 bought about 2 months ago new, 27" Benq SW270C Monitor, Thunderbolt to USB-C bought the cable new and supports latest Thunderbolt.
As mentioned system is now running as should but just wanted to do a diagnostics to make 100% sure OK. Russ.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.