No Classic on startup disk

N

niravscoat

I installed 10.3 on my machine awhile back and now I dont have classic. The exact message that comes up is: Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use. It also says I have to install 9.1, but I'm not sure how to do this so it works with 10.3. Any advice is helpful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Do you have more than one install disk to look on?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You need the OS 9 install disc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My understanding is that you need to have OS 9 install somewhere to run the classic environment (i.e. OS 9 folder).

OP
H

Happysk8er

can't install OS 9, no Classic Sytem folder

billitone said:
Classis is inside the disk #3

Classic is not in Disk 3, and I have tried everything to install OS 9, and it still won't let me. I have even used a OS 9 install disk, but it still gives the same error message, "Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use." It seems that I have no classic system folder, and so I am unable to install it.I don't know why I need classic to install classic, that is very problematic. Should I just create a classic system folder somehow, and fake it out. I am at a loss... Please help :confused:

OP
C

chapytoutou

Classic_OSX

I used to run OS 9 on my PowerMac and I upgraded to OSX Cougar and now to Panther. Wen I did my upgrade I install Cougar without upgrading OS 9, It got me into serius trouble cause I could not ru Classic at all. What I did his I got Cougar out of my system and got OS 9 upgraded to OS 9.i and got OS 9.1.2 from Mac Supprt Center and install it. I then reinstal Panther and got it running just find.

So I quess you will need to cleaninstall OS9 upgrade it to OS 9.1 then 9.1.2 then reinstall OS X.

Thats how I got to fix my problem with it.

As to install OS 9 on your pute I would suggest to use Norton Utility disk, boot your MAc holding the c keys it will boot up from the norton disk then you can cleaninstall OS 9 upgrade it like I said before and reinstall OS X

OP
H

Happysk8er

Thanks, i guess i will just have to make a boot disk from another mac, running OS9 then try that. Is there another way that i can create a boot disk using an OS9 cd, that won't read when i try to press "C" and reboot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Actually, Panther doesn't come with OS9, so it's normal that you can't find it. Only if you got Panther with your Mac, it includes OS9, on the install DVD.
You need at least 9.1, which you can easily upgrade to 9.2.2 with the free updates on Apple's web page (I never heard of 9.1.2 :confused: )
Why do you want a boot disk that doesn't boot when pressing "c" during startup??? That's the only way to boot a Mac from CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Happysk8er said:
…I have even used a OS 9 install disk, but it still gives the same error message, "Classic cannot find a Mac OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use.":

Here is my 2¢…
You would get this message if you were trying to install OS 9 while in OS X. OS X is trying to find an OS 9 (Classic) system to run the OS 9 installer.

With the OS 9 cd inserted, restart holding down the "c" key. Provided the OS 9 install cd is matched to your system, you should be able to install OS 9 and be good to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.