No Audio Question:

Reaction score
New craigslist ad in my area:

I am selling my 2011 21.5" iMac. I recently upgraded to a 27" iMac so am letting it go. Cosmetically it looks brand new and the screen is perfect. I have also installed Yosemite. During the OS upgrade process, something happened to the audio drivers and I can't get the headphone jack or the internal speakers to work. Simple solution is to use external speakers or headphones through one of the USB ports. I tested it and the sound works perfectly that way. I don't have the time to troubleshoot and fix the problem so I dropped my price from $500 to $450. Maybe someone more technical out there will find a simple solution, if needed.

Does this sound like an cheap/easy fix, or is this a serious problem?

Thank You,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
Hard to say. But...the seller seems to be suggesting that the problem is "driver" related. Which then suggests a software problem. If it's truly a software problem...then an erase & reformat of the hard drive...followed by a fresh install of the OS would fix things.

I have a strange feeling that the seller already tried this (since it is simple)...and why not it costs nothing. It's one of the first things to try (troubleshooting 101)!;)

I bet that the seller knows exactly what's going on (has investigated it)...and knows it ain't a cheap fix...or they would have done it already. Wouldn't be the first time someone on Craig's List didn't tell the whole truth.

Geez...how many times I've seen large flat screen TV's in the Craig's List free section...where the seller/owner says ("Probably an easy fix." or "Probably a cheap fix."). Yeah right! If it was...you would have done it already!;)

Stuff to think about.:)

- Nick

p.s. Another possibility. The seller is not well informed...and could be a VERY EASY fix. But again. I think someone like this would have gotten in touch with the Apple Store. Had the computer looked at. Was told the (expensive) repair cost. And that's why it's being sold.

p.p.s. Not exactly a terrific price either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you done a SMC reset?

Have you re-partitioned the drive and reinstalled 10.10?

OP
J
Reaction score
Very well stated replies... thank you indeed.

I'll check on the SMC reset and re-partitioning the drive and reinstalling 10.10

OP
J
Reaction score
What would be the worst case repair cost scenario if the headphone jack was involved?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any chance something has broken off inside?

I think Harry has hit a home run on this one. We see lots of "no audio" problems that are due to a broken piece of a headphone plug stuck inside the receptacle. To the OP... ask the seller if something is stuck in the headphone receptacle. And by the way, that's not an easy fix. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
I was going to mention something possibly busted off in the headphone jack in my earlier post (but forgot). Thanks to Harry for mentioning it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.