• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

"Newer" Macs are amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So I recently received my new iBook.. It's loaded.. Superdrive, 1.42ghz cpu, 1gb ram, BLUETOOTH, Airport Extreme.. you get the idea..

So I found out that according to Apple's website, my RAZR is compatible with the bluetooth features on my Mac.

I now can send/pull pictures and music off my phone without the use of cables. And, it's incredibly easy too..

I can chop my own ringtones in Quicktime Pro, and send them to my phone with BT-File Exchange.. I can also use ImageWell to resize images to the correct resolution and send them to my phone the same way.

Just thought I'd share something new that I found in OS X that I love.

No more spending $3.50/ringtone anymore!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, do ringtones really cost $3.50?? Who on earth is willing to pay that when you can buy a whole song for $1!

That's what I love about Motorola. I don't if you can do this, legally, with other phones, but Motorolas you just need a cord to connect to your computer, or bluetooth, and a program package called "Motorola Phone Tools" and you can sync your contacts, up/download music, pics, videos. Through other programs, which I'm not sure of their legality, you can even change the entire looks of the screen. Kind of like Quicksilver for your phone.

I still use MPT to transfer data on mine SLVR through windows/bootcamp. If there's an easier way to do it through OS X, can you please elaborate?

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I use the Bluetooth File Exchange app (in your Utilities folder) to send files to/from my RAZR.

All you have to do is turn the bluetooth on your phone to on, open up Sys.Prefs. and click the "Bluetooth" icon. There should be a button that says "Setup new device..." under the "Devics" tab. Click that and follow the wizard to setup your phone. It's quite amazing how simple it is.

And use the BT-File Exchange as I mentioned above (in your Apps folder) to send files to/from your phone. I personally use the Bluetooth icon in my menu bar. It's more convenient and it's just there with the "Send File..." option at the bottom as well as "Browse Device" so you can see what's on your phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Must be you dont have a Verizon phone, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I have the old razor that does not play mp3's.. anyone know if my phone has bluetooth?

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have a RAZR v3c through Telus Mobility.

What model of RAZR do you have KoDorSean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I have a RAZR v3c through Telus Mobility.

What model of RAZR do you have KoDorSean?

I have the phone in my hand, but I have no clue what model it is.

sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
You obviously don't have Verizon ;)

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Nope.. Not this cat...

I'm not America, so even if I wanted Verizon, I couldn't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
You obviously don't have Verizon ;)

I have a new Razr V3, but you're saying if I have Verizon Wireless as my service provider, I can't do this? Do you know why?
Sure wish I could. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Nope.. Not this cat...

I'm not America, so even if I wanted Verizon, I couldn't get it.

I have a new Razr V3, but you're saying if I have Verizon Wireless as my service provider, I can't do this? Do you know why?
Sure wish I could. :(

Verizon strips their phones of just about all the capabilities the manufactures build into them. I have no idea why but they do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I have a RAZR from verizon. I hate there nasty red UI!! The regular motorola UI looks way better. Stupid verizon, I'm stuck with them for another year.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I think the V3 is terrible.. The keypad doesn't feel as "good" as the v3c.. The UI, as Netty mentioned, is also terrible. I currently have 3 on mine.. The "Scarlet" which is reddish (might be the one you're using), then "Tekno" which is a metallic--techno-ish UI (which is what I'm currently using, and then the Default "MOTO" UI which reminds me too much of WinXP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Verizon strips their phones of just about all the capabilities the manufactures build into them. I have no idea why but they do.

I also have a Verizon RAZR V3M. I've read that since Alltell essentially has the same hardware, you can hack out the Verizon crippleware and replace it with the full Moto OS. I haven't been brave enough to try this yet, but it sure would be nice to be able to get my photos easily off my phone, without having to pull the memory card out of it.

I was with Cingular prior to Verizon, and I can tell you that the service, costs and quality are much better. I'll suck it up and deal with the crippled phones as long as the customer service and network are this good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Verizon says they do it to protect copywrite laws, but its really to force people to use their VCast "service" so Verizon can make more money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The nice thing about having a PDA Phone (Palm Treo 700P) is all of the PDA stuff that goes with it. My fav app is the one that lets me use any MP3 as a ringtone....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Yeah, I have the V3m as well. I switched to Verizon from T Mobile per request of my mom, dad, roomate and importantly ;) my girl.

I can't tell you how freaking frustrated I am with it. They do indeed cripple all the features out of the phone and the UI is SLOW and UGLY. I too am debating the Alltel hack.. but I've never done any SEEM editing and it kinda spooks me.

On top of that it's super expensive... I cannot wait to get out of this contract... in fact, I have like a year and a half left and am debating paying my way out.

Oh, another way to make free ringtones is this website http://mobile17.com/

it's pretty cool and it's free (though if you pay it goes faster... but no need to)

Oh and I still love all 3 of my PPC machines! 0ld sk00l

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you all are unhappy with the look and lack of features of you Motorola phones, there are fairly easy ways to change them, without doing any manual SEEM editing (though that's not hard either as long as you are careful).

I would recommend you check out howardforums.com. There's a lot of cell phone uber-geniuses there who devote their lives to hacking and modding phones, and they're very good at it. I can't wait to see what they do with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have no idea why people touch Verizon - it's basically inviting a horror show.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.